Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CPS Investigation

How to Make Minion Nails😱😀❤

Saturday when I was dropping off my SS to his mom she shared with me how she has court for child abuse and neglect. What brought this up is I guess my 6 yr old SS set a bathroom trash can on fire Friday morning. I guess all they did was put him in a corner and then made him clean it up. This is his 3rd time doing it. I told them that's when I would spank him (spanking is last resort to me plus I don't have the heart to spank them hard so i think it's not effective for me at least). That's when she said she wasn't allowed to spank because CPS is watching her every move.

Now back to my question. We were unaware of this and his father was never contacted that she was under investigation for child abuse.  Since he's son is in her home, shouldn't he have been contacted?

Anything we should do? Like contact CPS and ask why? I want to figure out when her court date is and show up and see if we can get custody of my SS. We already know he's neglected but we live in mother's state meaning the mother ALWAYS gets custody no matter what. We've already looked into it.  Laws are trying to change giving fathers equal rights.

Oh my SS set the trash on fire at 8am with a lighter while all the adults were still sleeping. 


Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I don't know if I would recommend trying to get your nose into the investigation. I think at most you should call them, inform them that she told you about the fact that she is being investigated and that you want to make sure that they have your husband's information in case there is a need to remove the child from the home. Let them know that the child has a place to go. And then I would leave it at that.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

  • If she's being investigated but not removed from home then dh can file for custody of child and site child endangerment to the court as to why he feels he's the better parent. This would go around SS and possibly get an emergency order in his favor.

    Answer by baconbits at 10:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

  • I don't know that I'd call CPS and ask why. I would contact them and make sure they are aware that the boy has a father who is ready and willing to take him in, if necessary. Depending on the outcome of the investigation, I would think your husband could use that as grounds to take her back to court and try for custody.

    Here's one thing I would think about, though: You say he did this while the adults in the house were sleeping. How do you propose that it would be different in your house? I'm not saying you aren't capable of taking care of him, but if he did it while people were sleeping, then it stands to reason he could do that in your home, too. And I would think it might come up if you try for custody, so you might want to work on a solid plan that you can explain for how you would prevent this.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 10:48 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

  • If you want custody, i would get information on therapy and help for the little boy so that the courts know you're prepared and serious about wanting custody and ready to get him help asap. If it were me i would make sure at least dad is at the court hearing and ready to speak up for custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

  • Because we don't keep lighters laying around for him to grab. I'm a light sleeper and I hear every time the doors open so i would wake if he does.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

  • If you want to present for the court hearing, call your county court house and see if you can find out when it's on the docket. They probably are aware of the custody order but it wouldn't hurt to call them. They may not give you any information but at least they wil know the father wants his son.

    Answer by HHx5 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2013