My 9 year old wants a sewing machine for her birthday!

I was curious if anyone has a child who sews, and what would be the best kind of machine for a child to learn to sew on?

healedbystripes

Asked by healedbystripes at 10:22 AM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Buy a decent machine. If you buy a junkie machine, she'll be frustrated and not like sewing.

My personal recommendation is a Viking Emerald 116. It's a basic machine, very user friendly, and high quality. It has a jam free rotary hook, and is easy to thread. You can buy a cheaper machine with more stitches, but it will probably be lower quality, and more frustrating to use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I have a child who does lots of handwork between sewing & knitting (and has wanted a sewing machine for awhile) but I haven't purchased one yet. That was the first "big" goal she started saving part of her allowance for (at about age 6) because she saw kid sewing machines in the Magic Cabin catalog & Hearthsong catalog! I have seen a Singer model for kids, and a couple other machines. I don't know if a kid sewing machine automatically falls into the junky category or not but I asked one sewing friend casually for feedback & she recommended getting a "real" machine that is solid & basic (she said she didn't know anything about kid machines, herself, and some might actually be good solid machines) so I filed that advice away for future reference.

Sounds like the aforementioned Viking is a good starting point.

My daughter just turned 9 and I might consider getting a machine for her next birthday. She sews by hand at this point.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Okay, I'm going to give you some things to look for in a sewing machine. Get a side spool pin, not a stand up spool pin, and a top loading bobbin. If you want her to be able to sew on things like denim, make sure the machine has a strong enough motor. It's good to go to a dealer that gives a free owner's lesson with the machine. If you buy at WalMart or Target of course they won't do this. An independent dealer usually will, and a Viking Sewing Gallery (inside the larger JoAnn's stores) will. they will teach her to wind a bobbin, thread the machine, put in the bobbin, what kind of needles she needs, how to access her stitches, and sometimes more.

Happy Birthday to your daughter!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:59 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• And, I didn't mean to post anonymously in my first post!
    ohwrite

• I saved up and bought my very own sewing machine in the 3rd grade. My mom took me down to the local mom and pop shop, they helped me pick out a Singer, I put it on layaway and then went to work pulling weeds and washing cars for the neighbors until I could bring it home. We never got allowance as a child, so it was all earned money. I was SO proud! I still have and use my Singer today! It's a great machine (I can't attest to how they are still made, I bought mine YEARS ago)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 1, 2013

• The Singers aren't what they used to be, sadly. I see some great older machines come into the store fore a cleaning and service, but the new ones.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2013