When and how can I let her use a regular blanket?

My daughter is 19 month old and still uses a sleeping bag. I've given her an extra blanket on top of it lately as it's been really cold at night. I was really happy because it went so well. And thought that when the summer comes she can have just the blanket because it won't be that bad when she throws it of in the warmth.
Until the other night when I came home and my hubby told me that he found her lying on her tummy, face down in the matras (with a tiny, tiny whole to breath through) and the blanket over her head! I was sooo scared! What do I do now?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we always used blankets after he quit sleeping in our bed. I'm sure your kid can move its head when it can't breath. Just trust your own judgements if you think she can do it, let her. Just check on her for a while if it relives your worries.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• let her use the sleeping bag unzipped...?
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• She's fine. My daughter sleeps with her face in her blanket all the time. I'm pretty sure they are old enough now that if they can't breathe, they will move so that they can =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think she is old enough to use a blanket. My nephew snuggles his blanket over his head too. If you are worried though then stick with what is working, the sleeping bag.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• As long as she is old enough to move her head then a blanket should be fine. my 18 month old son sleeps with a pillow and a blanket. He always has his head burried in something.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my son won't go to sleep unless his face is buried in his stuffed dog that he sleeps with. i was a little worried about it, but he is perfectly capable of moving away from it. I've been using a blanket or two with him since he was about a year old, with no problems.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 4:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My daughter likes to pull the blanket over her head too. Just make sure it's a thin "breathable" type blanket. I use a thing flannel one or a afgant my grandma made (the kind with the holes in it). At this age, they are capable of moving when they need to. Try not to worry about it. Check on baby when going ot bed and move the blanket then.
    Anonymous

• Izabella sleeps with her head facing into her "Lambie" and has for about a year now. They have a good reflex now. I cannot tell you what to do or guarantee they will be fine, but I think blankets are fine now.
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 5:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009