Every single year I plant a ton of impatiens around the house. We have a lot of shade and they grow so nice and big. Last year almost every single plant was eaten by an animal. I planted a lot and by August I had maybe 10 plants left. It was so sad. They were grabbed out by the root, so I think it was rabbits or deer. They even ate my Hostas. What can I plant this year that animals don't like? I was thinking marigolds, but I wanted to see what you thought. Thanks!!!

Asked by mompam at 1:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Plant what you like and sprinkle cayenne pepper/chili on and around them. You might lose one or two but not more.

Answer by winterglow at 3:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The following is from

There are a few things that might help when choosing plants that they tend to avoid. Deer never eat ornamental grasses. Yes, I did say never (please don’t email me if they eat yours—I’d rather not know). They also don’t usually eat herbs or plants that have a strong fragrance such as sage, lemon balm, monarda (bee balm), Russian sage (Perovskia), etc. They don’t generally like plants with thorns or “prickles” either, roses being the exception. Some of the prickly flowers and shrubs they avoid are cleome, barberry, and purple coneflower.

Answer by Bmat at 1:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I agree with Bmat. Pick ones they don't like. I have to move all of my hostas this year because the deer don't like to come near the house, so I'm swapping them out for less tasty items! I also have to move my hydrangeas they ate every single bud! Cute little bastids!!!

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Best way to find out what animal do not like is to go to your local gardening center.

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I know marigolds keep some insects away. My great-grandma taught me to scatter them among my garden veggies to keep the bugs out. Don't know about deer, though.

Answer by Ballad at 3:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• What makes you think it was an animal doing this? I had my neighbors plants stolen by the root across the street .......

Answer by older at 1:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• By a person? They ate the hostas. The edges were all chewed. I'm sure it wasn't a person. That is creepy though.

Comment by mompam (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Thanks!!

Comment by mompam (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2013