• In the Spotlight:

What is the best breed...?

My fiance and I are looking into adopting a cat. We have a 3 month old son, and live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I want a mellow tempered cat that likes to be around people, I want a snuggler! And whos temperment is good around young children...any suggestions would be great. We may just go to a shelter and rescue a kitten....we'll see.

thanks in advance for your answers!

carliemarie1015

Asked by carliemarie1015 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• I am not sure about cat breeds but if you are going to a shelter you probably will not find a purebred cat anyways. However, I wouldn't suggest a kitten if you want a mellow tempered cat you should look at a cat that is a little older and their personality is more defined so you can find a cat that is good for your family.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I don't know much about cat breeds but if you go to a shelter you can see the cat and ask to have it in a room with you and no other cats. Bring your kids with you to make sure that it'll be ok. I wouldn't get a kitten though b/c kittens are full of energy and are always on the go. If you get an adult cat it'll probably be more calm. Also if you get a shelter cat they are usually vet checked, up to date on shots, and they are already fixed. And don't forget you get to save a life.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You should DEFINITELY go to a shelter, there is no sense in getting a cat from a breeder when there are millions of loving animals that need good homes in shelters.

I agree that if you want a mellow cat, a kitten is not hte way to go, lol. Kittens are WILD!

Go to a shelter, and pet a few cats. You will quickly see which ones will we loving and affectionate, and which won't.

Good luck.

Oh, and there is no "breed" of cat you should look for.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with everyone else about going to a shelter, but IF you do want do go for a specific breed, i would recommend getting a maine coon But before looking into breeders, check out petfinder.com and save a cat, you may be able to find a maine coon on there anyway :-) good luck!

Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would hit a shelter first!

However, I have to agree with Rachel1786! I would definitely recommend a maine coon. They're large and fluffy ragdolls. The 3 boys I've had have been such big babies, and have really taken to my nieces and nephew. Even at 10yrs old, Brewski is very playful, and still a cuddlebug.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:39 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• GET A "MANX" I HAD ONE SHE JUST DIED AT 14 YEARS THEY ARE VERY GOOD CATS THEY LOVE TO BE LOVED AND THEY LOVE TO SNUGGLE UP I HAVE HAD SO MANY CATS IN MY LIFE I WILL ALWAYS GET A MANX GOOD LUCK !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• i heard males over females are more loving..ive had 2 males and they were just the sweetest!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009