Do you think that 8 years old is too young for braces?

my niece just got braces an she's 8. She still has baby teeth imo this doesn't make sense. Is that a typical age? just wondering if I was missing something.

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I've noticed that dentists are putting them on earlier these days. When my children were growing up, it was not done until the early teens. I'm not sure why the schedule has been stepped up, but if it were suggested that one of my grandchildren needed braces so young, I would be asking the "why" question or at least "why now?". It does seem a bit premature to me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I would think after they have all of their adult teeth would make more sense
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I had braces very young, but then again my overbite was so bad that my bottom teeth were hitting the roof of my mouth causing it to bleed! I had 10 adult teeth, the rest were still baby teeth. I had headgear, jaw widener, chains, springs, all while still wearing a retainer so I didn't bit the brackets off my teeth due to the overbite. 4 months of pre-braces retainers and spacers, then 9 months of braces and their corresponding torture, then they came off. I wore a retainer for 1 month until I lost it - never got a replacement. My teeth haven't moved an bit.

The reason orthos are doing braces earlier is because the teeth move faster and stay put better then if they wait and the jaw bone begins to harden (it's soft bone as a child - it calcifies as a teen)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Braces will be pointless if she still has baby teeth.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• my little brother is 13 and is just now being told to get braces, he has an amazing dentist (my dd goes to the same place) Idk who my brother takes his kids to but it just seems weird to me. but then again, my brother and his wife believe every medical "professional" they take their kids to, there are issues with the same kid that need to be addressed but their doctor said she was fine so they are all like "oh ok, no worries then"
    josiesmommy00

Comment by josiesmommy00 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I started the process around the age of 10 because there was no room in my mouth for a full set of adult teeth. I wore headgear, retainers, and other instruments of torture before getting my full set of braces around age 12. I also had a number of baby teeth pulled before they had a chance to fall out on their own.

This was 30 years ago, so it doesn't surprise me to see even younger kids with some form of braces.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• A friend of mine DS has them and he is 8yo.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• It depends on what they are going into the braces for. For straightening teeth- they generally wait for all the adult teeth to be in place. If they are trying to adjust the jaw alignment they will start earlier because that takes more time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I suspect this is for jaw alignment, as But_Mommie says.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Yes, it's not really necessary unless the child has bone structure issues or other severe alignment issues, such as a pronounced under/overbite. In such a case, they generally make the child wear headgear at night to correct their profile as their bones are growing. Otherwise, if it's not serious, it's unnecessary since the baby teeth fall out. I've done a lot of research on this and also had a friend who had this done as a kid just to fix her alignment issues. Getting it done young does not prevent you from having to see the ortho again when you're older.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2013