Common core curriculum

has anyone heard anything negative about this? a friend of mine's wife posted this on facebook:

For parents who have school age kids, please read into this `common core curriculum` they are pushing into our schools. Unless you want your child having Islamic history class and learning that the Boston tea party were terrorists, speak up against this!!

dose anyone have links to show this as being true, or is she full of shit.

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• I proofread textbooks for a living, and I haven't seen either of those things appear in materials for students in the last nine years I've been doing freelance work in the field. There are a lot of textbooks out there I haven't proofed, of course, so I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I have yet to see anything about the Boston Tea Party as a terrrist activity. Islamic history is typically covered in world history books, as are the roots of Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and other religions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Probably full of it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:13 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Yeah.... that's bullshit as usual. I work in a High School and we are phasing in common core next year... Make sure you are getting the right info of your states education site - they should have links there for you to read about it. This is also a good place to start... http://www.corestandards.org/ 

Click on your state in this map and it will link to that states DOE site... http://www.corestandards.org/in-the-states

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Ask your friend's wife to post her sources.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Tbh, that sounds like it came from an anti Obama extremist/conspiracist. Al.com has a few articles pertaining to the Common Core Curriculum as it concerns Alabama. That is if you don't mind reading a news blog website.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• its wrong. each state takes what it wants from Common Core and makes it its own. like in Oklahoma they are taking out the evolution section even tho the federal version says to teach it.

and as a History teacher, despite the Tea Party being done by smugglers who were mad that they couldnt keep making their crazy profits, it will always be taught (in the US) as this wonderful act done out of frustration at being taxed by the evil King George. cause we wouldnt want our history to not be in our favor...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Nope, I have heard nothing abouth this but I doubt tfrom the islamic history comment. o eligion is to be taught in public schools.
    Anonymous

• I've looked this up a little. Their website says nothing about specifics. However, there are concerns that this curriculum is expensive to implement. Many states, in fact a majority of states, have already adopted this. Some are concerned about this being another potential power grab from the Obama administration. Some critics even claim the program has a socialist agenda. It would be hard for me to say one way or the other based on what I read. I'm always a little skeptical of government because I'm more of a liberatarian at heart. But, I'll keep researching since my state's adopted this and I have 3 kids so far in the public school system. I do read over their text books (when they actually bring them home) and their homework.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2013