What would be an appropriate way to say thanks?

My grandmother is almost 93 years old, and getting very frail. My aunt just dropped over with a box full of things Grandma wanted to give me. She's been emptying out her house and giving away a lot of her belongings. She calls it "getting ready for the next chapter." I'm sad, but also touched deeply by the things she chose to give me. An owl from her lifelong collection, her everyday silverware, two paintings my ex husband gave to her before he was too ill to do his art anymore, a couple of other knickknacks. Plus a little tea set for my daughter and a doll bed that my grandma's dad carved for her, and a quilt my grandma made for it when she was a young girl. (I'm going to save the intricately carved doll bed and the quilt fo when my daughter's older and more likely to take care of them.)

So anyway, I'm not sure how to say thank you. It seems kind of tacky to just send a regular card, since she's giving stuff away in anticipation of her own death. But I don't want to ignore the fact that she sent me the gifts, either. Any thoughts?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Relationships

• I agree with what most are saying. Make her something you know she likes and might not have had in a long time. When my mom got older she no longer cooked. Bring it to her and talk about how special each thing she gave you was, and talk. In my experience, older folks love to talk about their life, and it's a good way to learn about family history.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I would go visit her and thank her in person. Idk what I'd say but I'm sure it would come to me as I spoke to her. So sorry she's ill.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• A phone call, visit, take her out to eat, bake her favorite dessert, send a card
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I agree with spending some time while she is still here, she would probably love to share stories with you as well, and while you are there tell her what you told us, and what those things mean to you, she will appreciate it more than any other thing...

Answer by older at 5:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• A card and express how thankful you are for things she gave you. maybe even cook her, her favorite dinner/desert
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Send her a good ol' fashioned letter via snail mail and then make her dinner and sit and let her tell stories and laugh together. She'll like that!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Visit with pie lol
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 4:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• A phone call or a visit in person to share stories & to tell her what you told us. How each piece she selected for you is special, & why. And of course to tell her how special she is to you too.  You are very lucky to have your G-ma in your life.  Don't hesitate to tell her & spend time w/ her while you can.

Anonymous

• Visit her.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Is it possible for you to go over for a nice visit so you can tell her in person?
    Maybe you could make her some sort of food, bread or cookies or cake.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2013