How do you control temper tantrums?

I have a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old girl and going to have another little girl in a few weeks. My little girl all the sudden started throwing temper tantrums, so bad that she has thrown up over the weekend. She wants to sleep with me at night. I have tried so hard to make sure they all have their own space and have slept in there own beds unless they are sick or they wake up at like 6:30 in the morning. She also will not let me out of her site. She is just not her self, I do not know what to do. Time out, shutting her door when she acts up or let her sleep in the bed with me. Please help me or is this just a normal behavior for a 2 year old little girl.

weiss

Asked by weiss at 5:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds normal to me...

can you lay down with her in her room until she goes to sleep?- that's what I used to do with mine. They did not get to sleep in my bed (unless they were sick or something)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• They don't call it the terrible 2's for nothing

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Sounds very normal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• sounds normal. What's your bedtime routine? Can you lay with her until she's asleep?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I would let her sleep with you. She wants to, and you all need the sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Sounds like she is nervous about her new sibling. I know it's hard, on one hand I'd want to reassure her and on the other hand, I wouldn't put up with the tantrums. Reinforce the bedtime routine. Bedtime stories, soft music, maybe a new stuffy or baby-doll. I agree maybe you should stay with her till she falls asleep. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, be firm and don't let her in your bed. The last thing you want is a new baby and a 2 yr old in your bed. Good luck.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Sounds normal she is two and you r stomach is growing and things are changing and no matter how calm you think you are there is tension in the air because you are all in waiting mode. She is reacting to this "expectation" with the only means she has of communicating her distress. Something is happening to her mommy, her security and she has no power to do anything even tell you what she feels. Just give her the extra time you can (and your son, too). I would stick with her staying in her own bed except for the reasons you gave. but maybe invest in disc players (up high) or something that would play soothing music and just soothe her as best as you can and tell her how much you love her and that you will always be her mommy.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

•  DUCT TAPE? lol :p

Anonymous

• I understand how hard that can be I find if I have to go somewhere I play with them with the person I am going to leave my child with and get them to draw their attection off me and slip out of the room and go on my way and I make a big deal when I get back of how much fun they had while I was gone, as far as sleeping goes for me I foud that making up their own bed time song and telling them it is only for you and their bed to hear this song and do it with the lights out and singing it softer as you sing it and till you have stop stand thier for a minet or so then quitely walk out and if they wake up I find out why and try and help them back to sleep iether by singing again or rocking them till they fall asleep and it may take some time but routeen will help and keep talking about how good of a big sister she will be, i hope this helped some and good luck
    Traber

Answer by Traber at 8:52 PM on Apr. 5, 2013