Why cant' I quit?

smoking! i.ve tried everything, patches, gum, ecig. i always go back. i quit for 4 months and went back last week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Health

•  I hear ya.  I've been smoking for too long & so has hubby.  It's so freakin expensive & its costing us more than money!  Like the others said, you have to just keep trying & hope you will increase your determination w/ ea attempt! GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• The truth is that you are addicted and somewhere inside you, you do not truely wish to quit.
    I am not talking about the nicotine, that leaves your system by then, but the psychological dependence n the cigarrette. It is a crutch that you have used to feel part of the group, or to ealwith stress, or to keep you hands occupied or...
    THAT is what you are addicted to. You feel incomplete without them.
    Have you tried counseling for addiction?
    It isn't that you are not strong enough, it is that you do not have the right tools.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Because it's hard and it sucks! I'm with ya! I quit for 3 months and then started up again last year. I've also tried the ecig and gum. I still use my ecig but I always forget to charge it. If you find anything helpful let me know lol. I'm starting to think the only way to do it is cold turkey. I feel like I'm teasing myself when I still get nicotine but can't smoke lol.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 6:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• ^^ What PP said, and I would add don't quit quitting. Try again, and again, and again. Eventually, it will take hold and anytime you aren't smoking is a plus.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• stressors/ triggers.
    Why did you pick the cig up last week?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I've been trying to quit for years. I always start up again. I kicked hard ugh easier then cancer sticks ugh!!!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Do keep trying. My boyfriend quit and said it was the hardest thing he ever did in his life. He says he still gets cravings after more than twenty years, though not as bad as he used to. For a lot of people, it's addicting on many levels--the physical nicotine, keeping the hands busy, relieving stress, and the social aspect of smoking with others.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• You CAN quit.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• You can, it just sucks ass to do so.

I quit smoking 9.5 yrs ago and have never once cheated since my last cigarette. Yes, it's been hard. I've had dreams throughout the years of me smoking, I've craved a smoke before when stressed but, I never gave in.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• When you are ready you will know, you can say I am going to quite 20 times a year and yet you keep doing it.....

Answer by older at 8:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2013