Insanity...unless it's religious

I'm sure this will piss someone off no matter how it's phrased, so rather than spend a half hour trying to sugar coat it, I'll just put it out there:

Why do we excuse behavior by a religious person that we would otherwise call insanity if religion wasn't involved? Why is it rejecting reality is considered an illness, unless the rejection involves a piece of religious dogma?

I'm not talking about philosophical issues, but ones for which there are cold, hard facts, such as the fact that marriage existed in every culture on earth long before the Bible existed to tell people what it was. Or the fact that the fossil records and basic math prove dinosaurs and people did not exist on earth at the same time. These aren't matters of faith, they are issues of proof. If someone insists George Washington didn't exist and US history is all a lie, they'd be medicated. Why a free pass if something biblical is added to that sentence?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• These issues aren't listed in the DSM. No doubt some people may have psychological issues but not believing in the fossil record doesn't qualify. I don't know how you'd treat this, send them to re-education camps? Where would you draw the line, and you'd get to decide?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• These issues aren't listed in the DSM

I think if you look, you'll find denial discussed in great detail, especially in the areas which are associated with addiction.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• What you described above regarding marriage is actually willful ignorance.

But, as you and others know, OP, I spent most of my work experience working with schizophrenics, 95% of which considered themselves religious. I've heard many stories of seeing & hearing angels and, demons. They clearly were viewed as "insane" in this day & age but, would they have been 2000 yrs ago? Food for thought.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Actually, they are listed in the DSM

A person with a God Complex is labeled as narcissistic
    It may just be semantics, but they are listed as mental disorders

(sorry- not going to research the slew of synonyms)

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• If someone chooses not to believe the "truth" as I perceive it, even if what is rejected is something that I believe is absolutely proven by facts, it's no sweat off my ass. I believe the earth is round. Satellites have shown pictures to prove its shape, people have circumnavigated the globe, etc. But if someone else chooses to have a different opinion, so be it. Having different opinions isn't illegal. People aren't even medicated for it unless their outlook is causing difficulty in their life functioning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• But if someone else chooses to have a different opinion

Facts aren't opinions. You can have the opinion that you don't like green. You can't have the opinion that green does not exist.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• There is a difference between a perceived reality and a fact based truth.
    Truth of the matter- it does harm you and all reasonable creatures.
    Consider the middle ages and what happened to Galileo.
    The rejection of science based on religion inhibits man's ability to move forward.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Additionally, if someone else's opinon doesn't hurt you, perhaps consider how it may hurt them.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I agree, Feral, but how do we force people to accept the truth we think they should believe?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I saw that. I just don't know what to say to this sort of crap anymore. I mean, you say 2+2=4, but I believe that 2+2=27. It's just really sad that you seem to think that the answer is only 4. I will get 23 times more blessings than you.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2013