Have you ever owed taxes under your husbands name and how long did you wait before they paid the debt and released the portion you should get???

We filed for our taxes and I knew my husband owed. No problem, as long as the debt will be taken care of with our refund. Anyhoo, they put a freeze on the refund because I put my name first on our taxes. Since he owed I apparently should have put his name first. This is only my second time doing our taxes online. Had I known this I would have put his name first. Now they want to hold it an additional three weeks to make sure we don't owe??? Has anyone had this happen to them??? Did you have to wait the whole 3 weeks? By the way, the amount we owe from 2007 is less than our tax refund. So we would get a balance. It's about half.

runnyvenom

Asked by runnyvenom at 4:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• We had this happen to us before. It took almost an extra month to get the refund back. I know it's a pain but at least it'll be paid off.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I know somebody who went through something like this with her dh owing back child support not sure if it would be the same thing though because she filed a injured spouse form and got her portion back with in a week then they gave the child support office that portion and he got his back like a month later. He only owed like a few hundred.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I've never dealt with it, but I would guess that it's just that they are wanting to ensure that you aren't trying to defraud them. Some people would do it the way you did it, hoping the IRS wouldn't catch the second name, and therefore not take the money owed. I'm not saying you did that, but that some people would, so they're probably just checking your return more carefully to make sure. I'm also going to guess that the 3 weeks is kind of a "by this date" kind of thing, to allow them enough time to finish their checking. Of course, I'm not an expert, so I don't know for sure.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Well this is only my second time filing my taxes so I truly didn't know. Lesson well learned. But now for next year, I am wondering what I should do. We will have no debt next year. Should I file with my name first or his??
    runnyvenom

Answer by runnyvenom at 5:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009