Maybe it's time for Robertson to retire

He seems to be saying that only "simple", uneducated people would believe in God and miracles . . .

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/01/robertson-god-gives-less-miracles-to-too-educated-americans-who-learn-science/

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That old turd hasn't said anything that made sense in the last fifteen years, at least, maybe longer. I'm ashamed to admit I evver gave him a dime, but people have the right to be young and gullible till they learn better. I fell completely in hate with him--I was nearly there already--when he said he would be turning all his money into gold bouilon and heading for the hills to wait out the Y2K thing. If he had money to turn into gold bouillon and a cabin in the hills, he got it all on the backs of struggling people like I was who thought they were giving their hard earned dollars so he could help the poor.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I can't figure out why they still let him speak on the air. It seems that nothing he says is relevant or resembles the truth in any way.  Perhaps they're doing this for pity? Perhaps pity would bring in more $$ for the 700 Club?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• More likely answer - any money from his estate going to the ministry after he dies is contingent on giving him the spotlight whenever he wants it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I'm sorry, NP.  Did you say something?

I was distracted by that slice of whatever-it-is in your profile pic.  It looks like some sort of strawberry, cream and chocolate confection.  Anyway . . . yum.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I was distracted by that slice of whatever-it-is in your profile pic.

That's my hot n sexy cheesecake pic, just like all those cleavage heavy pinups some people use in Groups ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• No, he's saying that the more educated you are the more you have been tricked by the lies of Satan and thus God is "punishing" you by with holding his awesome power and miracles from you to convince you that he is real.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• It really surprises you that they let him say something like that on air?
    Maybe it's how I was brought up- that allows me to get his point or whatever, or is it that you "get" the point and can't believe it anyway?
    The people who listen to him (in MY experience) wouldn't even flinch at what he said. They would embrace it, and use it in conversations with others later!
    and Kristi pretty much has it right there..." No, he's saying that the more educated you are the more you have been tricked by the lies of Satan and thus God is "punishing" you by with holding his awesome power and miracles from you to convince you that he is real."
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:12 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I guess it's my perspective that caused me to hear him say that you'd have to be uneducated to believe in god, and educated not to believe.  I suppose those who subscribe to his particular beliefs would see it in the way Kristi described . . . that education is bad and opens the door to Satan, and it's better to be simple and be led to believe things, rather than become a "smarty-pants" and think you know better than anyone else, thus "closing your heart to god".

Regardless, it's a sad perspective and unfortunate that education is so vilified by people like Robertson . . . and even sadder that people would listen to that senile old windbag.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Damn that forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge!

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Robertson makes my stomach turn...the fact ppl listen to him and take his word to heart makes me want to vomit.

and if God is performing so many miracles in Africa, why are so many ppl there living in poverty, malnourished, being raped to "cure" AIDS, marginalized, orphaned by disease, having their children stolen to fight in wars, etc.?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2013