I make a video of my 5 yr old son

It was just a normal night but I was still in awe and wanted to capture it cause it was SO him that night.... i showed my friends at work and got this reaction "omg, ..... have you had him tested, I"m actually worried, I've never seen a kid act like that" he walks in circles talknig when he is talking, so excited, so much on his mind, talks non stop, telling us about a movie he wants to make when he gets older, a book and story he wants to make, a play he does not want to BE in, but MAKE himself.. etc.. this is nightly.. My DH and I both have opposite forms of ADHD and I know it's too early to test or anything but I LOVE this about my child.. he's SO creative, he can read, he can write, he knows his numbers, he's smart but not OVER smart like a genius or anything.. I hated hearing from so many different people how "weird" that was as after my first 2 co workers reacted that way, I showed many others just to see... no one reacted like this was "normal" ok, normal is whatever to most peoplel...he IS the busiest child I've ever met, can't wait in line for 2 minutes anywhere without upset or boredom or wanting to leave.. he has speech of a 8 yr old.. very particular in what he wants and what he wants from others, if you have seen big bang theory, we call him sheldon, he's SURE you are always wrong and he is right.. anyway - .... I'm hoping others can relate??? I know I shouldnt be bothered but... .I guess some part of me is...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• like your son's energy levels and ability to focus (or not focus, as the case may be) is normal, since it's on a level with your own.

This doesn't necessarily mean your son needs to see a doctor or be medicated or anything like that. However, one thing I would consider is this: The high energy, non stop talking, etc. that can go with ADHD can be rather annoying to those who don't have it - especially other kids. Ignoring it or saying it's normal and refusing to even consider any other possibility could lead to him struggling in school and with making friends. Keep a close eye on things like that and if you notice issues cropping up, it may be time to see his doctor.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2013