I make a video of my 5 yr old son

It was just a normal night but I was still in awe and wanted to capture it cause it was SO him that night.... i showed my friends at work and got this reaction "omg, ..... have you had him tested, I"m actually worried, I've never seen a kid act like that" he walks in circles talknig when he is talking, so excited, so much on his mind, talks non stop, telling us about a movie he wants to make when he gets older, a book and story he wants to make, a play he does not want to BE in, but MAKE himself.. etc.. this is nightly.. My DH and I both have opposite forms of ADHD and I know it's too early to test or anything but I LOVE this about my child.. he's SO creative, he can read, he can write, he knows his numbers, he's smart but not OVER smart like a genius or anything.. I hated hearing from so many different people how "weird" that was as after my first 2 co workers reacted that way, I showed many others just to see... no one reacted like this was "normal" ok, normal is whatever to most peoplel...he IS the busiest child I've ever met, can't wait in line for 2 minutes anywhere without upset or boredom or wanting to leave.. he has speech of a 8 yr old.. very particular in what he wants and what he wants from others, if you have seen big bang theory, we call him sheldon, he's SURE you are always wrong and he is right.. anyway - .... I'm hoping others can relate??? I know I shouldnt be bothered but... .I guess some part of me is...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in General Parenting

• like your son's energy levels and ability to focus (or not focus, as the case may be) is normal, since it's on a level with your own.

This doesn't necessarily mean your son needs to see a doctor or be medicated or anything like that. However, one thing I would consider is this: The high energy, non stop talking, etc. that can go with ADHD can be rather annoying to those who don't have it - especially other kids. Ignoring it or saying it's normal and refusing to even consider any other possibility could lead to him struggling in school and with making friends. Keep a close eye on things like that and if you notice issues cropping up, it may be time to see his doctor.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I wouldn't say your child is weird or not normal, but I would consider the possibility that you are so used to his behavior that it has become normal to you when it may not be. Both of my boys have ADHD, which we no longer medicate. Normal in my house is much higher energy and louder than it is in other homes sometimes. Another example is my youngest had a speech impediment and I didn't even realize it - I had gotten so used to just translating in my head what he was trying to say as opposed to what he actually said that I didn't notice. It was a total surprise to me when the school told me he needed speech therapy, but once I thought about it, I could see it. If you and his father both have ADHD, I would say it's very possible he does, too. The fact that you both have it could be another reason why it seems so normal to you when others see it as a problem. Since you are also higher energy and not as focused, it seems...
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• he was in high school. I would like to see your video. But your child is not weird.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• My first was very bright and acted much like this but more in terms of science he also had trouble waiting in lines but lay in the ground for an hour watching all the activity in the small circle of his hands. If you asked what he saw he would say things like Life as though it summed it all up and he was surprised you asked. anything remotely science and his mind grasped it like a sponge. Both of my children were reading by 4 or earlier and alsways read higher than grade level by increasing grades. Did you know that children are not allowed to check out adult books unless the librarian aproves it? I certainly didn't until he had read every book they had relating to animals and wanted more to read. It is scarey in a way because the adult is supposed to be smarter in order to help mold the child. I had to keep learning more and more just to be a fraction ahead of him. He has a type of dyslexia and we never knew it until
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I would like to see the videp of it as well. My son is 4 and can be described very similarly. He was diagnosed with autism in February and I've yet to see another kid "like him". Actually, I think you and I have compared our sons before! Anyway, 5 years old is definitely not too young to have him evaluated, but as I'm learning it may be too young to know for certain what he'll be like in a few years.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• My daughter talks that way, too, about her many "plans" and projects, but I'd say within an overall mellow context. Truly excited & full of herself for sure, but not anything I think people observing her would consider grounds for getting "evaluated."

I don't like to minimize people's honest reactions & there sometimes can be something to it (if a lot of people are noticing the same thing) but there is still a matter of context.

From previous posts, I believe you've mentioned that your son has been evaluated (but diagnosed only with anxiety.) So I imagine that he's been in regular contact with a doctor throughout his development, rather than having red flags that have been "swept under the rug" or minimized. You also know that his traits are "BIG" and have led TO the questions & evaluations in the first place. So it is likely that the coworkers are recognizing SOMEthing, but that doesn't mean there's a big problem. You know?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I don't mean to appear harsh but I think you do him a disservice. It is no fun having your brain going a million miles an hour all the time. I understand completely your desire to embrace him wholey but I also know you mentioned before that he struggles when visiting your family and friends and that they have a difficult time when he visits.

This isn't my gig; I don't understand how this works in children but I feel for him sometimes.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I guess just consider the source. Some people's perceptions of what is "right" (normal) or not where kids are concerned may not relate to reality for many others who actually relate to real kids in the real world, lol. People have a tendency to talk (or at least think) about what they'd never do/allow/tolerate, before they have children, and at least some of those things change when they actually experience parenthood.
    Are your coworkers parents of young kids? Do they particularly share your values?
    It sounds like you captured something you LOVE in your son, and a particularly enthused "version" of him, at that! And now you have some feedback from others about him seeming manic or quirky to them (pacing as he talks excitedly, totally engrossed in his world.)
    I can understand why you'd feel bothered at a reception that diverges so much from your own, given how you were totally marveling at him. But maybe "consider the source."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• i know what a video is silly- i meant share it with us, lol!!!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• like a handycam, camcorder...
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2013