Christian VS Athiest

I was raised Christian, therefore, I believe in Christ. I did reach a point where I had questions, but ultimately I believe in my heart Christ is real and my savior.

I am curious to learn how someone comes to the decision Christ/God/Allah/ do not exist. I am sure there are other deities, but you get the point.
Were you raised this way or was this something you've come to believe over time? Do you believe everyone has a purpose or do you just believe we live and die. Nothing after and really no point.

I am not looking for a fight. I am genuinely interested in learning about your beliefs.

ggsmom333

Asked by ggsmom333 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I was raised in a Christian family, but I never felt any truth to any of it. I have been an atheist my whole life.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I was exposed to different forms of Christianity in my childhood but, I was never pushed into any form of it. By the time I was a senior in high school I just knew that the biblical God could not possibly exist.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Wow.. thanks for your answers. What makes you feel that way? Is it how the world is or just scientifically, it doesn't make sense. Do either of you believe we are here for a reason?
    ggsmom333

Comment by ggsmom333 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I am curious to learn how someone comes to the decision Christ/God/Allah/ do not exist. I am sure there are other deities, but you get the point.

Research, research, research. Research the history of the religion, the history of the region it began, the history of the religions it "borrowed" from, the history of it's spread, and how it changed with politics, economy, etc.
    I wasn't "raised" this way I was raised in a "nondenominational Christian Home" but I was also raised to ask questions and seek answers and RESEARCH to find them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• My mother was an atheist and my fathers family was Methodist. So growing up was at times confusing.
    I chose to become a Christian over Atheism after going to church for many years, against my moms approval.
    It definitely ruined our relationship because she refused to accept my decision even though I respected her choice.

That being said, there are still questions I have and I don't believe EVERYTHING the Bible says.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• Do you believe everyone has a purpose or do you just believe we live and die. Nothing after and really no point.

We each give our own lives "purpose". So no, it's not just about "living and dying' but there is no greater being "dictating" what that purpose is. We have to discover it for ourselves. While there may be "nothing after" we die that hardly means there is no real point. Again it is something you must discover for yourself and LEARN within your lifetime. It's up to YOU.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• What makes you feel that way? Is it how the world is or just scientifically, it doesn't make sense.

After all my RESEARCH I find it makes more sense logically (in fact it's the only thing that makes logical sense) that religion and the ideology of "god" has been created and altered by man. First to explain natural processes they did not understand (say a volcano erupting or lightening) as man's knowledge of the natural world around him evolved so did his concept of 'god' to explain philosophical or psychological concepts. From there it grew into a tool to influence others, etc, etc, etc. One only needs to follow the history and timeline of religion and the history of the regions to see how it grew, was influenced by other cultures, adopted through wars etc. etc. etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I don't believe in God for religious purposes, I believe in God for spiritual purpose. Whether or not He is real is for me to know when I die, but until that day comes there's nothing wrong with having faith in something greater than yourself.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 11:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• What makes you feel that way?

^^ Picture a room full of grown adults talking about their beliefs in Bigfoot or Santa or the IPU. They really and truly believe, and you feel like they just must be kidding, but they're not. That's what it was like for me growing up around Christians, as far back as I can remember. That's the best way I can describe it. I could never force myself to believe in something I know isn't possible.

Do either of you believe we are here for a reason?

^^ Yes. I am here because my parents had sex. What I do with my life from there is up to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2013

• I fall in neither group, but I'm curious if the OP views atheists and atheism as a homogeneous group where everyone feels the same way for the same reason? Reality is 2 atheists have no more in common than a Sikh and a Native American shaman have in common.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2013