Out of all the things on tv, THIS is the problem?

I don't watch any of the scripted reality shows like Jersey Shore or Honey BooBoo, but I think someone has her sanctimommy on a little thick here:

Commentary: ‘Buckwild’ star Shain Gandee's death a wake-up call for MTV

On a show that seems to be basically the redneck version of Jersy Shore, they have a group of young adults who act like obnoxious young adults.  One of them, off the show and in real life, dies in an off-roading accident along with two other grown adults (carbon monoxide poisoning from exhaust backing up into the truck).  This "author" seems to think the accident is somehow proof that MTV's scripted show is a bad influence on America's children.  Am I missing something here? Is off-roading a euphamism for shooting heroin?

Most of the articles about the accident mention that another cast member has been arrested for drug dealing, but that's not the bad influence, this guy out with an adult relative over twice his age is the face of out of control youth?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• These dots aren't connecting for me, either. I'll be anxious to hear someone explain this.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Well, while I agree these scripted shows are a bad influence and representation of America's youth I don't think the accident is "proof" of that. The general buffoonery and grown adults acting like drunk obnoxious children is proof enough of that.(but that's how MTV gets it's ratings).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Well, I agree that MTV sucks. But this kid dying due to his own stupidity is hardly the fault of MTV or the show. He went mudding in the middle of the night after drinking. Bad idea even without the drinking beforehand. I have thought about this from every angle I can, and I just can't make it the fault of MTV.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The only fault they could possibly come up with is that the networks are giving so much attention, fame & money to a bunch of people who behave badly. So if by rewarding that bad behavior, that's where they are finding fault, it could be a point in the argument, but nothing to go to court over.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• It sucks that a young man died. But it wasn't the TVs fault they were doing stupid stunts. The accident happened off camera meaning he did it on his own time. TV doesn't help with our teens but it's up to the parents to teach their children not TV. We need to stop blaming TV for everything and people need to be parents.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Who's kids are watching that crap?! You can't blame MTV for televising shit that American's watch, they are just making money. If you are letting your kid watch those ridiculous shows and letting them believe that is normal behavior, then that is on you, the parent, not on a TV show or a network. For fuck's sake, I wish people would quit blaming everyone but themselves for the stupid shit they do.

I agree that the accident was hardly the fault of MTV nor is it the worst thing that has ever happened. Some people are just stupid.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Was he being filmed at the time?
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Was he being filmed at the time?

Nope - this had absolutely nothing to do with the tv show at all. The only reason it was national news is because one of the 3 people in the truck also appears on a tv show.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2013