How long does it usally takes for ur child to stop asking for the bottle?

My son will be two this month and I finaly decided to cut him off cold turkey. It has been 3 days now and he is still crying and looking for it. I even took him to the store and let him picked out some sippy cups. Today he cried so bad that I almost gave in. What else can I do to help him?

amyr119

Asked by amyr119 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't want to hear this, but it took about two months with my two-year-old daughter before she completely forgot about the bottle. The terrible crying didn't last that long, though. Whatever you do, no matter what, don't give in. You'll just make it that much harder to hold out the next time. Try offering him drinks he really likes from the sippies, and telling him what a big boy he is when he drinks from them. I know it's not the best, but I ended up getting Ovalteen (sp?) and giving it to my daughter in the sippy cup so she'd start drinking milk again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:30 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• If they're old enough to ASK for it, they're too fricking old. You should have stopped long ago!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• @ Ballad and it just a bed time thing all during the day he is fine. Tonight he did ask about it but he did not cry.
    amyr119

Comment by amyr119 (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Explain to him. Bottles are for babies and he is a big boy. Google image babies with bottles and point to all the babies with bottles then Google sippy cups and show him the big boys with sippy cups.

Lots of talking and communication. Find other ways to soothe his crying.... but I don't recommend cry it out at any age.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I cut them out at about 13 mths, didn't have any problems, the longer they are used to something the harder its going to be to give it up, we are creatures of habit, persevere with It, if he realizes it's not coming back he will stop asking for it.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I took my son's bottle away slowly by introducing a sippy cup at 9 months. By the time he was 11 months I took the bottle away completely. I don't think they notice as much when you start when they're young. Since you didn't start earlier I would say stick to your guns. Your kid could only be worse off and the crying for the bottle will also get worse if you give in now. Just ride it out. In the mean time, keep giving the sippy cup. If they are thirsty they will drink it. Try the cups with the straws. My son always liked those better than the average sippy cup.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 2:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Also, show your child the cool characters that are on the cups now a days. No cool characters on bottles, boo.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 2:49 AM on Apr. 2, 2013