Two distinct reactions to childhood sexual abuse - what are these called?

One of my abusers was named Mr. Wilson, and for years I avoided anything (sporting goods, etc.) with the name Wilson. My therapist said there is a name for that behavior, and I believe it had an acronym, but it was not PTSD.

The second thing is that now, decades later, the only way I can enjoy sex with a man is if he causes me physical pain. I'm sure that's common enough that it has a name too, right? I don't mean masochism, I mean something directly as a result of the abuse, you know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Health

• Wht not ask your therapist?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I don't see him for 8 days.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• HMMM well frankly this sounds like you need info to do some homework and I do not do that.
    Even if you do not see him and say want to do a little reading before seeing him, you can always call the office and he can chat with you for a few minutes or if he has office staff she can get the info for you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• No homework, just wanting to learn more on my own. I don't want to call him because I don't want to be needy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• You NEED to be needy. Stop being a people pleaser!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• You are paying for his services. That includes the occassional call to his office for information.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I sent him an email. It seemed like the least intrusive way to reach him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Don't know what it is called but I do the same thing, Not so much the first as luckily mine wasn't a common name or anything like yours. But most definately the second. I agree you need to get more comfortable reaching out to him(I know it is easier said then done) in order to fully get everything out of therapy and not just waste your time.

good luck...let us know what he says before you close the question please!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Will do tnt. He answered my email, but I guess I wasn't too clear about what I was asking. I see him next Wednesday, and I'll lyk what he says.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2013