Texting and driving laws

Would you change them? If so how would you? Do you think your states texting laws are strict enough? What if a texting driver caused a death?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• The kid who was texting and ran a red light, killing my father Thanksgiving 2010, had zero charges against him because he was a minor. He should have lost his license or something but he 100% got away with murder. This was Indiana and there was no law in 2010.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I would like all cars to have a device that does not allow a phone to be active if the motor is on. Basically if the car i on or turns on the phone automatically is shut off. I know that someone will go around it and then teach others to do the same. Then the police should be able to see someone with a phone to their ear or texting and arrest them.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• This was Indiana and there was no law in 2010.

Upside - there is a law now
    Downside - I NEVER see it enforced

I dodge idiots on their phones every day on my commute. This needs to be treated like drunk driving, where you get pulled over for erratic driving no matter what.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Honestly, I'd make texting and driving illegal, period. A family friend, newly licensed at sixteen, glanced down for a split second to send a text and drove her car off the road, hit a fence post, and landed in a field. Thankfully she didn't hurt herself or anybody else, but the $2000 in damage to her car was a very good lesson in reality for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Since they've proven that this distraction is just as dangerous as drinking & driving, then the penalties should match the crime, regardless of age. I was almost sideswiped on the E-way a few weeks ago on my way to work, by some dumb broad who was talking on her phone. How many more people need to be maimed or killed before it's taken more seriously?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• A texting driver who killed someone would be charged with manslaughter where I live.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• if it causes a death its vehicular manslaughter....... i dont know my states laws on that. so i dont know if i would change it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• It's illegal here so is talking on the phone while driving (without using a hands free set )...doesn't stop teenagers from doing it. Let's just say I've almost been hit a time or two and in fact a little boy was hit a few months back. (Driver was newly licensed and texting and not paying attention as she pulled out of her apartment complex and hit the kid) The kid is doing better now but the driver had driven away, so she has criminal proceedings against her.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• ok so i looked up my states laws... no i do not agree with them bc we dont have any.. thats just sad
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2013