Can my modem burn my house down?!

So, we keep our internet modem on the floor (carpet) of our bedroom, and the other day when I was dusting I touched it and noticed it's pretty warm! Should I not keep it on the floor? Is it safe there? Does anyone else keep their modem on the floor (carpet)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Technology

• No. Mine is on top of a shelf. Do you have a plastic or metal serving tray that you can place it on then put it on the floor. You never know.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Of course it could.any electronic can.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:54 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• do not leave it there, put it up on a table of some sort, it needs to be able to cool down, I saw a show the other day, where a computer go the carpet too hot, and the hotel room caught on fire.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Any electrical appliance can cause a fire
    I would elevate it off the floor but that is me
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• go buy a cheap end table and put it on it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I would put it on something. On the carpet, it can't get any ventilation. Even if you're lucky enough for it not to start a fire, it can at least burn up the modem. Even just a small TV tray or something, just put it on some kind of hard surface where it can get some ventilation.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I agree with Wendythewriter. At best, you're looking at burning up your modem and having to replace it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I would def get it off the ground and onto some type of object with ventilation holes.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2013