If your beliefs differ from your parent's,how do they react to you?

My mom cannot fathom how I could not believe in Jesus and the Christian God. To her,there is Christianity.....and everything else.
She feels that we are not to question God or the bible.
If I bring up something about the bible that contradicts itself,she gets this most disgusted look on her face,asks me where I read THAT (like I'm making it up) and rolls her eyes at me

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Religious Debate

• My mom's only concern was during the Satanic Panic of the 80's, where she worried that some psycho at school might try to have me (or any of my friends) arrested. She knew better, but she also appreciated the endless depths of stupidity found through society in general.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I change the subject every time my mother brings it up. She claims because they forced me to baptized it means I will be LDS forever. I told them no religion has a hold on me and can tell me what I can and can't believe. She brings it up a lot and one time I started pointing out the proof I see how religion and a god is a load of crap she dropped the subject because she couldn't argue it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• My dad is an atheist (although, frankly, I think he's more agnostic, based on some of what he says), my mom is...well, she's not exactly a Christian, but she believes in God and Jesus, and I'm pagan. My parents are pretty respectful of my beliefs. My mom is actually pretty open-minded, and for example, when I told her that Easter was actually a pagan festival before it became the Christian holiday it's known as now, she was surprised, but asked me to send her some links where she could read more on it, because she'd had no idea.

My entire family has a wide variety of beliefs, though, so we're all pretty open minded and respectful of different beliefs.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The one time I talked to my mom about being agnostic leaning towards atheism, she thought it was just a phase I was going thru.

I rarely discuss my beliefs IRL.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• My parents like to throw in little jabs during conversations about how can my kids have morals when not brought up in the church.
    I ignore them now.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• My parents are Christian, I am Pagan (and my brother is Buddhist). We don't talk about it... in fact, they don't know. It's not worth it. They wouldn't understand much less accept...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I don't discuss religion with anyone in my family anymore.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Not really. My father is a non-admitting atheist. He's only gone to church for weddings & funerals for as long as I've been alive. He recognizes that some people need religion & never talks down about those who do. But, he basically never talks about religion or his beliefs, ever. Which, leads me to believe that he has none and, having grown up in the south, knows better than to just talk about it to anyone.

My mother changes with the wind. When I was young, she was into Wicca. Then an ex husband convinced her that was "evil" and she was a good christian for a while, until their divorce. Since then, basically she's been nothing. I didn't grow up with her so, her beliefs never affected mine.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• they dont know. my parents are very religious, very Christian, and i think they would feel like failures as parents if they knew i no longer believe like them. they are great parents and i just cant do that to them. luckily, since they think we are all on the same page beliefs are never a topic of discussion so i dont feel like im hiding anything from them. they know how i believe on social issues that are usually tied to Christianity (abortion, SSM, etc) but i keep the "i dont believe Jesus is my savior" stuff to myself.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• We don't discuss it. I told her my wishes if I were to die though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2013