What was your favorite breast pump

I'm about to buy one but I really want to do my research first!

BeautyGuru

Asked by BeautyGuru at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There weren't any when I had my babies, but my girls have all loved the Medulla(not sure of the spelling). I bought them for shower gifts and I got them at Target.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• It's really hard to say. What are your pumping needs? Will you be working full time? Staying home?

I EBF and stay at home. I pump only to create a freezer stash for emergencies and when baby is older I will pump to express breastmilk to mix with fruit and vegetable purees for her solids. A Medela Harmony hand pump is perfect for me.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• As Staci says it depends on your needs I have had a Ameda Purely Yours and a Lansinoh Affinity both great pumps and they both are electric(you can also use batteries for work).
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I'm looking for both a manual and an electric. I'm going to return to work but I wait tables and I'm only going to work 4-6 hours a day. So I'll need to pump so my husband can feed baby when I'm at work.
    BeautyGuru

Comment by BeautyGuru (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• If you have health insurance, call them and ask what breast pumps are covered. It's new, but they are required by law to provide pumps. Some insurances only do a manual, but most will pay the 329 for the Medela Pump in Style.

Beware that the PIS is loud, as are most electric pumps. For 4-6 hours away from baby you may only need to pump 1-3 times. Take that into consideration with price. Baby will need 1oz for every hour you are away. It will be very easy for you to get that available for baby the first time you go back and then each time after you can use the milk pumped from the previous day for husband's feedings.

Different pumps work different for everyone. It's up to you what you choose. There are awesome reviews and horrid reviews on every pump out there. Pick a price point and go from there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Brand isn't that important, but if you're going to pump regularly, I recommend getting a double-sided electric pump, maybe even hands-free. I figured out during my long sessions with the pump that if I added up all the time I sat there being milked over a year, it turned out to be about three solid weeks. And that was with an efficient double-sided pump.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Actually,. brand can be important.. Evenflo is notable for its poor track record. Sam with First Years. If you're only going to be gone 4-6 hours a day, you'll need 4-8 opunces total per shift, divvied into servings of about three ounces. The Avent Isis manual may suit you just fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2013