Question for those who went to church as kids

How many of you were asked like every Sunday to accept Jesus as you savior at a young age -in Sunday School?
I'm wondering if it is common, or was it just the churches I went to.

If you were- did you?
why?
and do you still claim that faith/ religion?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 3:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• We were raised in a Bible believing church that cared for the lost. We were often taught about Jesus, but not asked that every week. I did accept Christ...but it was because the Holy Spirit drew me to Him... And yes. I definitely am still a child of God and love Jesus even more now than when I was first saved... Nothing can seperate a believer in Christ from Him... His love is eternal and salvation is forever for the true/repentant believer.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Catholic church you're Christented at birth, get First Communion around 6 or 7, and Confirmation around 13. those are the only events where you "do" anything, and there's no such thing as getting them done ahead of schedule. To me the process was more like you were buying a house. Show up this day, "sign" these documents, come back for the next appointment "sign" some more, come back for the last one to close the deal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I honestly dont remember. I remember my mom chatting for up to 2 hourscafter service and my tummy growling. Lol. The first excuse I had to not go is because mom wouldnt get us home for lunch in a timely manner
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• no i wasnt. my parents denomination believes that one must be baptized to receive salvation and even then they dont want you to do that till youre "of age"...at least 10. there was no "ask Jesus into your heart" kinda thing b/c they believe the Bible teaches baptism.

i was baptized at 11 and then was asked "do you accept Jesus as your personal savior, etc". i did it b/c thats what kids my age in the church did...i really didnt understand it anymore than i had to do it to get to Heaven. and no, im no longer Christian.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I went to Sunday School every Sunday and no, we weren't asked this every week.
    Did I accept Jesus as my savior, yes, but only when I was old enough to understand what I was doing.
    My mom was an Atheist, so just going to church was struggle enough but it was something I felt was more for me.

She was a horrible mother so going to church and believing that there is a loving God, helped me through a lot of struggles.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I grew up Lutheran. We didn't really do Sunday School. We did Catechism classes in 7th & 8th grades. During that time, we had to memorize a few Creeds & of course, the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's Prayer is said at every service. I have always had a good faith in God & Jesus, but do not regularly attend services. I had an epiphany about 4 yrs ago & feel emotionally overwhelmed attending a traditional, somber service. Having a husb. who was raised Catholic, it's hard for us to find a non-denominational church w/ upbeat music, that feels like a good fit for us. But the faith is still there & is still strong, despite not attending church.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• We had the come "forward" every single week.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Nope we were taught our catacism every day in school and went to Mass every day except Saturday.

I can't remember that question ever being asked.
    Except as a group of questions during confirmtion.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I was confirmed as a Catholic in my early teens. It meant a lot to me. I'm not Catholic anymore, but I still consider my confirmation as the time when I accepted my adult faith.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I don't remember ever being pushed or pressured in church - at least not in our Methodist church. The Church of God my stepfather was going to when he first married my mother was pushy that way, but we didn't go there long. I was super involved in our Methodist church, too, but even with all of that I never felt that kind of stress.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2013