Attitude in an 11 month old!?

I have an 11 month old daughter. She used to be the easiest yet most loving baby in the world, lately she has been being violent towards me (such as hitting, spitting at me, and pulling my hair). Is this just to see how far she can push me? I don't know why she's being this way. Any help?!

Willow7

Asked by Willow7 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Is it out of frustration or just playing?

My son does this - I think he thinks its playing..hes calmed down recently though. I didnt make much of a big deal of it and didnt pay much attention to it.

If its frustration maybe she wants something? Try and work it out.

Ultimately kids will test boundaries because they need to know what is ok and what isnt but its how you react that is important.

Don't add more drama too it, by getting angry etc..and if your child does get upset let them go through the motions and be there ready in case they need a hug...this works well for me and there is less stress in my house as a result.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. My son seems evil sometimes but he is just playing and the other day he smacked me in the face as hard as he could and I said ouch that wasn't nice and he started bawling his eyes out cause he thought he was in trouble. LOL!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 5:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This is pretty normal! She's learning to express herself, but doesn't have words - however, she's learning to control her body and uses that to "express" herself. Until she learns how to speak, you'll need to learn to accept that hitting, scratching, etc. is expected behavior. Make sure you understand what she's trying to tell you, and let her know that hitting, etc. won't get her what she wants. Gently tell her no, we don't hit people. If you're holding her and she hits, etc., just put her down. Use words and action to let her know you understand what she's trying to say - that she wants more, she wants a toy, she wants up/down, etc...use your words to help her learn vocabulary. Talk to her about what she's doing, how she's behaving, what she wants. Gently direct her behavior to stop hitting, or give her something she can hit/throw/etc...She'll eventually learn what is acceptable and what is not. Have fun!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• smaks you-smakc her back
    bites you-bite her back
    spits on you-smack her
    Not hard enough to really hurt her, but enough to get her attention. My mom-mom was a firm believer in this and NO ONE gave her shiz!!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• uh no... please dont listen to sweet-a-kins,

doing it back to her will only teach her its okay... when it is not

my son did the same thing and is now starting "terrible twos" where he just flat out wont listen to me.... i just enforce the rules... even tho she is only 11 months... if she slaps you grab her hand, not to hurt her but a good grip and look her in the eyes and very sternly say " no that is bad, mean " (w/e u choose).... " we dont hit" if it doesnt stop.... take a toy from her...

its def. a " i am going to see how far i can push her" thing... my son is still doing this and he knows not to hit now..but if i tell him not to touch or go somewhere he does it anyway....

gl
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 17, 2009