Can you give me any feeding suggestions for 5 month old breastfed baby?

I started with 1 tablespoon of cereal for dinner, she seems content with breastfeeding sofar. I noticed she can last 3 - 4 hours without feeding. Is this normal? She is nice size baby - 15. 5 pounds now. How do I switch to solid foods and adjust breastfeeding? Any ideas? Thank you...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 14 months and barely eats solids. Most babies, if allowed to take their natural course, will take most of their nutrients from breastmilk well into the second year before making solids and larger part of their diet.

I would just allow her to continue breastfeeding..or at least wait until she is 6 months old before introducing anything and when you do introduce it make sure is it fruit - which is easy on digestion. Start with bananas.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Its great that you're breastfeeding! You will continue to breast feed on demand and just supplement with solids. Pick a time when baby is usually not tired or overly hungry. Give a teaspoon of Rice Cereal (or whatever you've started with) that is really watered down. Gradually increase the amount you give, the frequency you give it and decrease the amount of water/breastmilk/formula you add. Follow baby's lead - they're the boss. You typically want to wait 4 days before introducing a new food. This is so you can watch for any allergic reactions. So, Rice for 4 days, then Rice and Barley for 4 days, then Rice and Barley and Oatmeal for 4 days and so on with veggies/fruit, etc. Keep in mind that until they are 1 year, your breastmilk or formula is providing all nutritional needs. The next 7 months are mostly for practice.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• 3-4 hours is very normal but if you wait to introduce solids you may find that that gap gets closer together. Once she gets to be a certain size, breastmilk won't satisfy her hunger for as long.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sounds normal. :) I fed my daughter on demand and at 5 months she had longer intervals with no nursing or eating.

We started solids after 6 months and it was a slow process, because she didn't appear to be ready for them. What you do is offer solids AFTER you nurse and let her try them. Solids for the first year are for expirementing only!

What we did, and it was cheap is take bananas and other soft fruits and mash them with some breastmilk to make them soft. My daughter loved them!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my ds is 5months too! we've worked our way up to 1/4 cup rice cereal or ostmeal mixed with bm in th evening in between feedings (feed at 6:30- cereal at 7:30- bf to sleep at 8:30) that's just at night though, otherwise he eats every 3hrs or so.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just keep nursing first, solids after as many times a day as you care to give them. Breastmilk remains the main meal all the way to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just don't bother. Babies shouldn't start solids til 6months anyway, but it's safer to wait longer. Breastmilk is so important for infant health and there is no need for solids til after 12months. Even then, breastmilk is still most important. My 16 month old is primarily breastfed with frequent small solid snacks and occasionally a meal if she's interested. It's a good thing. Less money on baby food, more time before the really stinky diapers, and it's great for your baby's digestive system.
    Anonymous