Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can't pay rent, but can take a day off, drive an hour away AND pay $35.00 for a ticket to see a comedian?!

Really?! I'm about at my wits end again with this "boy" of mine. All I have to say is I BETTER get some of his income tax refund $$$ towards his rent, or that boy is in for a rude awakening!! (BTW- I helped him file his taxes, so I know how much he's getting back!)

Sorry- more of a vent- so what's bugging you today?


Asked by mrsmom110 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 48 (284,707 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (20)
  • How old is this boy?!?!

    I think I've said this before but I'll say it again, I'LL LIVE THERE FOR 100 A MONTH! He doesn't even buy his own food?

    My jaw is dropping.

    Answer by staciandababy at 6:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • I am really upset that thesun is so shiny and the sky is so blue and the temerature and breeze makes it a good thing to open the windows and to take a walk. LOL

    I have been here and done that with my son too. and finally we just had to start saying no. You screwed it up, you fix it.
    I hate that part of parenting

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • tell him to fork the comedy tickets over to you and your husband, and he can stay home and babysit, you will give him 1 month off, my mother used to present us with a bill every month when we spent the summers at home, LOL, now my brother and I are going to sell all that star wars stuff and pay her back, LOL!

    Answer by jerseydiva at 5:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • I think a vent with him is required to fill him in on the stuff you would like to do and can't because lack of funds....

    Answer by older at 6:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • I would tell him exactly what YOU are missing out on to support him. Lay it on thick and make him feel guilty

    Answer by missanc at 6:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • Oh hell no.

    Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • If he won't pay money, can you get him to work on the house? "Hire" him to paint, clean, wash your laundry, whatever you can get him to do.

    Answer by musicmaker at 6:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • There apparently are no ramifications for not paying you, other than you being upset about it. Since that clearly doesn't bother him at all, nothing is going to change until there are real consequences.

    No, he doesn't have to pay you but the price of that is a 30 day move out notice. And you have to mean it. The choice is his

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • That's really irresponsible. I hope you get your money from his tax refund.

    The only ting bugging me is being a girl at the wrong time of the month, just in time to go to the Bob Seger concert with cramps and a headache. Bleh!

    Answer by Ballad at 6:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • I'm so sorry Sweetie that you were unable to pay your rent this month. Unfortunately without that $100 I can't afford to do/provide ___ for you. Then cut out whatever you do for him. Do you pay for his Atkins?

    I'm so sorry Sweetie but without that $100 I can't afford to buy your Atkins for you. I guess you'll just have to eat whatever you can find in the cupboards until you can pay rent again.

    I'm so sorry Sweetie that you weren't able to pay your rent this month because now I can't afford the electricity that you need for ___ (Video games? Light in his room?).

    Whatever that $100 is supposed to go towards, he loses. You and hubby shouldn't lose because your son won't live up to his obligations and instead heads off to have his own fun.

    The way to "extract" the money from him is to not pay whatever expenses of his that the $100 would normally pay for. Bet he pays next month! :)

    I wish you the best!!

    Answer by DianeDennis at 7:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2013