Parent transference toward a younger therapist?

Is that at all common? My T is 6 years younger than I, and at last night's session he was giving off a natural scent that was unmistakably male, you know? At first, because we were focusing on my childhood sexual abuse, I was nervous there was an icky reason I was so conscious of his natural scent. But later, I realized that his natural scent reminded me of my late grandfather. My grandfather was my first farther figure and a wonderful man. I trusted him like I have never trusted any other man. When I realized that, I was comforted.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Health

• I'd say your subconsciousness was telling you he is safe and you should continue working with him. He is able to emit a smell that made you feel safe. With what you have ahead, I'd say he will be able to comfort you and help you through the pain.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Thanks. I wonder if it would be beneficial to therapy to mention this to him. I'm new to all this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2013