My mother called the police today.

I'm 37 years old and I've been on my own since 17. I have a home and family of my own, yet my mother still continues to helicopter parent me. The follow scenario is no joke.

The only cell tower in the area went down this morning. It happens often. I went outside to work in my garden at noon. I'm dirty, bra less and doing yard work. The sheriff ( actually sheriff) and a deputy pulls into my drive way. I get up and walk to greet them. The sheriff starts laughing and said, " we'll its nice to see you're not kidnapped or dead."

Apparently my mother sent me a text at 12:09 and 12:35 along with a panicked vm. She called the house and no answer at 12:36.

So she calls the sheriff and tells him she's worried that something "got" me. Lol. Idk what to do, but I know she will never change.

So I wonder if mothers of adult children do this to their kids or is it only mine?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 6:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• she is trying to repair all of the parenting she didn't do when you were young, at least she is trying, love you!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• OMG. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Oh Jesus... One time my mom did that to me. We were moving and had packed the whole house, but were going to set out early in the morning. We slept on the livingroom floor with blankets. There was a knock on the door at 8:15 am and it was the police. My dh, (then boyfriend) answered the door and the cops asked for me. I very embarrassedly tried to get some clothes on... completely naked... so i could reassure them I was fine. They were laughing their asses off and told me to call my mom. UGH! MOMS!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I guess on a good note (maybe) it would take my parents about 3-4 months to call anyone on me. :(
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• No, you are not alone. A year after my ex left me I started dating again. ( I was 37) If I didn't get home in what my mom thought was a reasonable time she would go into a panic. (she lived with me because she was unable to take care of herself) And when I did get home I got to watch the crazy show as she would scream and cry and "faint". This happened several times. She didn't call the police only because she didn't know where to tell them to go look for me.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 6:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Nah, I call my mom so much it's much more likely to be the other way around. If one of us can't reach the other there is usually a story and the worried party will say, "I KNEW something was up! lol."
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• That must be annoying as hell. On the other hand, sometimes I think I could drop over dead of a heart attack right in front of my mother, and she'd only call 911 if there was no football game on and she didn't have to stick around in case anybody saw her with me when the ambulance came. It's all about image with her, and I ain't it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I am rolling off my chair.
    My mother would become angry because I was not right there to receive her phone call (cells were not around then or at least not very common) This is a mother who does not call for a year and then is angry be cause I went out to grocery shop or something and she was terrified. I mean really?
    It would perplex and crack me up then. This was not a mother that was terribly involved in my growing years either lol.
    Just smile and make the sherriff office some cookies lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I was so embarrassed. Neighbors came over to see what was wrong. I'm standing there with my hair in a bad bun, no bra and covered on dirt.

Needless to say I will never venture out the door into my yard without a bra. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• If my mom cannot reach me on my home phone,she calls my cell. If i don't pick up,she'll alternate calling each at least 10 times in a row, and leave multiple voicemails
    She doesn't want ANYTHING
    I can see her calling the cops.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2013