Does anyone else out their feel that the local school system pushes the use of drugs instead of holistic choices?

My child has ADD

Stacilc8

Asked by Stacilc8 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I haven't personally experienced it but I would tend to bet that yes they do. Well, I don't know about holistic choices because that tends to be more of a personal choice but I bet schools push medication more than they push other kinds of treatment or therapy.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I work in a High School and I haven't seen it at that level. The holistic choices only work in a small percentage of the population. My SIL tried with my nephew... he almost got expelled due to his behavior while she was messing around with a diet that was "sure to work". Medication isn't always a bad thing!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I think the schools push, serve and give too much crappy sugary foods that cause ADD like symptoms. Kids wired on sugar tend to exhibit the symptoms of it and are often misdiagnosed.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The whole medical world pushes drugs..............................................

Answer by older at 8:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• ever heard of Dr. Stewart in Texas? Very interesting guy with a lot to say on this.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Where I live the school has nothing to do with a child's health. The reasoning is that the education ministry and the health ministry are 2 separate entities. So the school has no say either in the diagnosis nor the treatment choice.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Honestly, society in general pushes pills instead of homeopathic options. It's only natural that the attitude carries over into schools.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• NO school has a say in what a parent gives to their child. IF you don't want to medicate then don't. When I decided to medicate my son after 2 years of ADD symptoms in school, him failing all his classes and getting in to trouble, I did NOT tell the school my decision and they didn't act. They figured it out about 2 weeks AFTER I started the meds and his entire attitude changed as did his grades. He made honor roll. Don't let the school pressure you into doing something you don't want to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Absolutely. I was able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis using a biomedical approach (dangerous psychotropic drugs were never going to be an option) and the school still pushed for us to medicate him (to the point that I threatened to sue for harassment, which finally made them stop).

They had ulterior motives, though ... by having the official diagnosis, the school was entitled to additional state funds. These funds are supposed to go directly to those students that need it BUT they go to a general fund instead. Many schools use ADHD diagnoses simply as a source of funding with no regard to the health and safety of their students.

I've often said that school officials (teachers, aids, administrators, etc.) are the real drug pushers in the schools. Do NOT let them bully you ... stay strong. GOOD LUCK!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 2:02 PM on May. 25, 2013