home remedies for ear infection??

I'm pretty sure I have an ear infection. It hurts like crazy and is all plugged up. I can hardly hear out of it. My dr's office is closed today. I really can't afford a trip to the ER. I've been taking motrin for the pain and benadryl hoping it will make whatever is in there drain but it's not working. Is there anything else I can do until the morning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Health

• a few drops of vitamin E will help you out till you can get to the Dr. or you can buy Sweet Oil in the pharmacy area of any store. A heating pad with a damp cloth on it also helps a lot. Hope you feel better soon!
    Anonymous

• A couple of drops of warm Olive Oil in your ear might help. It will lubricate your ear cannal (like ear wax does) and help any liquid drain out. Lay on a heating pad. Take something with an anti-inflammatory in it (advil, motrin) so that it reduces swelling and allows for the better flow of liquids. Most ear infections heal on their own, without intervention...but it can be painful! I used to have chronic ear infections.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with the above posts....a heating pad really helps a lot!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i read somewhere about taking a disposable cup and poke a few holes in the bottom and put it on a plate, then put a folded up paper towel or piece of sponge in the bottom and put super hot almost boiling water onto the sponge just enough to get it slightly wet. The holes in the bottom of the cup are so you can drain the excess water, but then lay your head and that ear directly over the cup so the hot air and steam can go into your ear. I guess it's suppose to help with the fluid and pressure. Don't know how well it's worked, i haven't had ear infection since i was 5 and i know it sounds complicated but it was a home remedy told to me by a doctor.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:17 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You can use a hairdryer. There are also homeopathic drops that you can buy at any pharmacy. I think it's Similson (sp)
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009