Pluralism vs Monism

Is there any circumstance in which monism can adequately meet the needs of everyone at one time?

(thought it would be interesting to see if we could get a real conversation out of that idea)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I really cannot think of any circumstance where monism would be adequate.
    We are so uniquely ourselves....we are all so different. Isn't that the beauty of being human? the ability to think for ourselves, make decisions for ourselves and live as we feel is best for ourselves?
    Doesn't Monism stomp all over that uniqueness?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• This will be interesting...

To say that every existing thing goes back to the source of which it came is just as hard to agree upon as all these questions about Christianity versus Atheism.
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, you might say.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I don't see how it could. I'm not even sure how it would be achievable. Like sahmamax says, humans are so individual that it seems almost overwhelming to think about how we could even get to that point.

At one point, Monism (in the most basic form) probably WAS the norm. Wouldn't the idea that we begin to question more and more and, ultimately, move away from the idea of a single source of everything support the idea that it isn't possible? ( I think this sentence is woefully grammatically incorrect lol)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• At one point, Monism (in the most basic form) probably WAS the norm

Within each individual group, but even then. One society in northern Africa, another society in Asia. Each had entirely different belief structures, one polytheistic, one vaguely pantheistic, but closer to atheistic, believing in wise forces, but not gods. It would be thousands of years before anyone would try monotheism, and they'd do it at the cost of forcing others to give up their existing beliefs. Nowhere did it evolve naturally.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• The convenient thing is, nothing has to work for everyone. People find out what works for them, and it doesn't have to satisfy anyone else. There are those who want to make their own rligion the one-size-fits-all, but that's no more possible with religion than it is with panty hose.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• "Within each individual group, but even then"

Good point. This whole concept is hard for me to wrap my head around. I had to familiarize myself with the philosophy as it wasn't one I knew much about.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:00 PM on Apr. 3, 2013