Crafty

Evidently I have missed out on something.
My Dr. Told me to alternae hot and cold and This has been a goodnumber of years ago.

So this is a no no?
Please tell me why

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 8:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Health

• So Dard.... the info you got was once the industry standard... it in not any more. IDK anyone in my field from other ATC's to the Ortho's I worked with that recommend heat unless you are trying to get a good stretch out of a stiff muscle. I may be leaving something out... I'm beat and I didn't proof read what I just wrote... does that answer your question?? ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The key to that statement Bmat is chronic or no active inflammation.... even when an injury if old and you don'e see the swelling there is inflammation on the cellular level. There is little evidence the hunting response occurs - except maybe in the phalanges. You get a better response from ice b/c when you body goes to rewarm the area you get a bigger influx of red blood cells to nourish and help with healing. You also get a large concentration of white blood cells - b/c your body senses something is wrong due to the decreased temp - to eat up damaged tissue. While heat increase blood flow it does not "bring in the Calvary" as they say, and it increases edema..
    Crafty26

• Thanks, Crafty, and sorry I bumped in on a post addressed to you. I didn't realize that's what it was. And thank you also for the advice. I fell a couple months ago and landed on the palm of my hand and below the thumb is still very sore. I've tried heat, but now I'll try ice and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Bmat... 24 hours is not long enough... ice is for the acute, or inflammatory phase... which can be 72 hours or longer. When you are working out, or in season for a sport and you have an injury you are then basically in and out of the inflammatory phase while simultaneously in the remolding phase (where healing takes place). This is why Athletic Trainers (sports med specialist) almost never recommend heat. I can also say from 15+ years in the field that I have seen better/faster outcomes when heat is not used.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• No worries Bmat.... one thing that is over looked is the role compression has in the control of edema and pain relief. You might want to try an 1 inch ace wrap (vs tape) applied in a technique known as a Thumb Spica - it will compress residual edema out of the area & give support to the muscles there to let them rest and heal. Edema tends to pool and get stuck in there. You may have bruise the fat pad there and it takes a bit longer to heal - especially if treated with heat. Good luck! PM me if I can help in any way ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The latest I've heard is cold for the first 24 hours to keep swelling down and after that heat to help the body remove the blood and so forth away faster. But I may be wrong so don't take my word for it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• these are from sportsmedicine.com

Cold therapy with ice is the best immediate treatment for acute injuries because it reduces swelling and pain. Ice is a vaso-constrictor (it causes the blood vessels to narrow) and it limits internal bleeding at the injury site. There is controversy as to whether continued application of ice results in a sudden vasodilation of the blood vessels (the hunting response) and if so, at what time this response begins and how often a cycle of constriction and dilation occurs. (note from me- remember that "acute" means something that happened - it doesn't mean "bad.")

Heat is generally used for chronic injuries or injuries that have no inflammation or swelling. (note from me again. So these kind of go along with what I said before. Ice when an injury happens, heat afterward.)

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I think you have and if I think of more question I will ask. And if I give bad advice call me on it ok be cause my insulted achiles tendon happened long ago and still isn't past a point of swelling twice its size for walking up too steep a hill.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2013