Emergency financial manager, Kevyn Orr in Detroit being called a "Uncle Tom"

I do not know if any of you know about Detroit's financial mess to the attune of  $16.9 billion in long-term debt to different area banks. I fail to understand how our Governor and the newly appointed EM are considered "Uncle Tom".  Those banks lent Detroit money. They are not the government where blacks go to plunder white taxes. These institutions have to stop lending money to leeches like the city of Detroit or go bankrupt themselves. When you borrow money, you have to pay it back. Why is that concept so difficult for Detroiters to understand?  

Then you have deeply pathological racists like Rev. Charles Williams II (of Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network) who also called the EM "Uncle Tom." Tom Barrow, another protester, said the" state's financial manager law is "Jim Crowesque."
 And the high and mighty Rev. Horrace Sheffield says, "This is colonialism in its neo-Negro form." 

Then I come across this article written by a Darrell Dawsey and there is a paragraph stating ...

"Since when can't African-Americans criticize those they perceive as undermining their political interests? And since when does the right get to tell blacks what to say about other black people and how to say it? Seriously, this stuff is way out of control.

Of course, it's not nice to call someone an Uncle Tom. Nor is the term always fairly applied or, depending on your reading of Harriet Beecher Stowe, even etymologically accurate.

But as political shorthand goes, it's brutally efficient. And I think it takes a special kind of naiveté or disingenuousness to tell black folks that using the phrase is wrong because it's somehow "racist."

Those complaints just smack of an attempt to censor black political/cultural speech, particularly vehement and racially charged speech that makes some whites (and many conservatives) uncomfortable.

Blacks shouldn't be obligated to conform to that discomfort.

Truth is, there are blacks who consciously undermine the best interests of black people and communities specifically to further white racist agendas. White folks know they exist, same as black people do (which is why a Quentin Tarrantino can craft a "house Negro" archetype that resonates with such power and familiarity -- to blacks and whites alike -- in "Django Unchained")."

Detroit city workers have already been forced to take up to 20 percent pay cuts and see the erosion of their health care and pension benefits. Since corporate-oriented Mayor Dave Bing took office in 2009, some 4,000 city jobs have been eliminated.

The city is facing a monumental economic crisis. Public transportation is in an abysmal state, lighting is out in large sections of the city, and streets are in gross disrepair. Most of this started when the ex-Detroit mayor, Kwame M. Kilpatrick was in office. He was recently convicted of on 24 federal felony counts, including mail fraud, wire fraud, and racketeering. The conviction stemmed from a 38-charge felony indictment, in what a federal prosecutor called a "pattern of extortion, bribery and fraud" by some of Detroit's most prominent officials. And to my disbelief, there are still a few Detroiters claiming he was framed by our "white government". 

So I guess my question is, what do you all think about what is going on here?? Here is a link you can all read about this if you want to understand what and why it has happened. Do you believe there are racial overtones here??

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/us/gov-rick-snyder-kevyn-orr-emergency-manager-detroit.html?_r=0

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish I could write a screen play. The movie created over Detroit's mess and the Kawame years would be fantastic.

Yes there's racial overtones and those comments were made to be inflammatory, but what do the people opposing a financial manger expect. They want no accountability for how the money of the city was laundered out of the city.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I think in general those that scream the loudest of racism are those most guilty of racism. Just like those that scream the loudest for tolerance are the last to be tolerant of others that don't believe as they do.

In the above situation, I think the only way they can retain support is to divide the population and they have learned by experience that one of the most effective ways to do that is to scream that someone is racist. It's sad that citizens can't see through that. Considering Detroit's illiteracy rate I would imagine they know that a good number of their constituents depend on their words. Sad, isn't it?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• After hearing that one council member demand that Obama bail out Detroit, since Detroit re-elected him, I don't think that there would be anything good said about anyone who took that job. Too many people there who don't think that they have to sacrifice anything at all, even though they contributed to the problems. (And that is just my opinion. I don't live there, nor do I know the people.)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Detroit has been on the brink of disaster for years, and everyone seems to want a quick way to blame someone else without proposing workable solutions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2013