Anyone seen this yet?

"A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow the state to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the US Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies in North Carolina. "

Source - http://www.wral.com/proposal-would-allow-state-religion-in-north-carolina/12296876/

Say whaaaaat? Between this and Amendment One last year I'm so glad we no longer live in NC...

Thoughts?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Religious Debate

• They'll not get very far with that, nor should they, even if they're technically right.

Kentucky made it a crime to not acknowledge "the Almighty God" as necessary to the security and safety of the Commonwealth. It's made it past their state supreme court.

Stupid people are in places of power in too many places right now. Until that changes, things like that will be passed and upheld, at least until they can get to a federal court.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Ballad, don't bet on it. Recently, one or two city councils have declared that there will be Christian prayers to open and I believe close their meetings. They have at least one church (one of those "mega churches") backing them. Offering to pay ALL their legal fees if needed.

I hate to say it, but this is the first I had heard about declaring a "state" religion. I really shouldn't be surprised after that ignorant Amendment One bullshit from last year. One good thing did come from it, I got my eyes opened to how someone truly feels about me.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Typical style for this type of Republican - egocentric and self-centered, thinking that they should be able to impose their beliefs upon everyone, and force everyone to live their lives by their beliefs.  They make it very hard for me not to succumb to the emotion I strive to avoid:  Hatred.  I try to see the good in them, but all I see is self-centered righteousness, and I want to smack them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• lol aah :)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 1:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I only caught one - looked like posting for points then deleting. Been a lot of that going on lately.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Haha, okay - thanks. I saw that it said there were two others, but I didn't get to see them in time ;)
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Not one that said anything
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• Did I miss comments? :(
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• The ugly thing is technically, they're right. The original colonies each had their own designated religion, and that's how the 1st amendment came about. Half of them refused to sign off on the Constitution unless a clause was added saying the government couldn't make them switch. The upside is they added the bit about not letting the states force anyone else, either, because they also had a habit of executing people who practiced the "wrong" religions in their states. Ironically, ALL of them were Christian denoms, they were just killing people of other Christian denoms.

They can "declare" all they want, but the second someone takes a school or city council prayer case to the SCOTUS, they're still going to lose for prohibiting someone else's free exercise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2013