Unvaccinated Kids...

I am eight weeks along with my fourth pregnancy. DH and I aren't leaving ANYTHING to chance. We lost our first three babies in the first six weeks. I have an appointment with my reproductive endocrinologist Thursday, but I would like you ladies' input in the meantime.

My boss' 12-year-old son is unvaccinated, and my boss makes a huge deal about how unhealthy vaccinations are. I disagree--I have an aunt who suffered from polio and was partially paralyzed. I feel like the benefits outweigh the risks, and I am current on all my immunizations, as is DH. Anyway, my office is having a company outing in two weeks. My MIL warned me to stay away from the unvaccinated child. Could his lack of immunizations harm my baby? DH plainly said, "I'm not risking the life if MY child because he's [my boss] an idiot!" I have to agree with him there. Unfortunately, this outing is mandatory. I can't tell my boss he's wrong--he's my boss for crying out loud. I don't want to have to quit my job, but like DH said, our baby's life is our priority right now.

Thoughts? Comments?

mrsjon

Asked by mrsjon at 10:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You have no idea who in this world is vaccinated and who is not. It is not only your bosses son. Anywhere you go. Wherever you are. You are none the wiser to who is and is not vaccinated.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• nothing is mandatory if your puking all day... stay home sick that day if it really bothers you!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• crafty took my entire answer!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• If you're truly concerned about your baby's health, call the OB and ask. The above answers are all good ones.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

• I am sorry for the losses you had to deal with.

Congrats on your pregnancy. As far as vaccinations go, those who don't vaccinate in the medical term usually do something naturally. They do not want to leave their children exposed to disease, nor do they want to expose their children to something potentially harmful.

I would say, if you are so fearful (which I might be too, given all you and your hubby have been through) I would call in sick. No harm to either party and your anxiety about the possibility is no more.
    Best wishes for a very healthy & happy baby!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I mis read this question. You are vacinnated and pregnant. I do not know how being near an unvaccinated child would be harmful? If this child did in fact have an infectious disease, could it affect your fetus?

I am curious if that is in any way possible?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• You are current on your immunizations; you should be fine, especially if you don't go touching on someone else's unvaccinated twelve-year-old, which you aren't likely to do anyway. However, I've had multiple miscarriages and know how scary the world can be when you fear more losses. Stay home if the anxiety is going to bother you, and congrats on your pregnancy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• If you are vaccinated you are fine. Being around him isn't going to harm your baby. It is only harmful if you are not vaccinated. But I too know how scary it is for a pregnant women who has already suffered a miscarriage. I was an ER and OB frequent flyer with my daughter because of that fear, so like others states if you are that anxious about it, claim morning sickness and stay home.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• As long as you are vaccinated, your body should protect the baby IF you are exposed to anything. Also, keep in mind the 12 yr old is unvaccinated, that doesn't mean he's walking around with every disease known to man. It puts him at more risk of getting something than someone who is vaccinated, but he's not automatically sick.

With that said, though, I understand your fears, and agree with the others that you can just call in sick to avoid it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Fifths disease can in fact affect an unborn baby. A child who has it looks like ther cheecks have been slapped & very red. Usually only small children have it & by the time a child is 12 they have already been exposed & have a natural immunity to it. Maybe chicken pox could be bad as well. But like the others have said, you can also be exposed at a grocery store or mall to worse than a 12 year old. In all reality the worse that the chil d could have is the flu but flu season is just about over. I assume the picnic is outside so as long as you don't kiss everyone there or the kid you should be fine. Speak to your OBGYN if you are concerned & see what they say. By the time you have your second child & the first is even in Preschool. That child will bring home germs you didn't know existed. My 1 year old has already had the flu, double ear infections, bronchitus from her 6 year old brother & they are both fully vaccinated.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2013