How can I get rid of Head Lice?

My children caught head lice from school, and I have tried the over the counter medications to get rid of it, and it is not working, and my daughter, who is four, was screaming that it burned and her whole scalp turned bright red. Any suggestions would help greatly. I was told to try mayo, but I am not sure if that would work. Thank you!

~Ashley

lilmama5268

Asked by lilmama5268 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Health

• Use "Rid" you can get that at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy  that worked for my daughter. One weekend her cousins came over to visit and left some friends I was so upset I had to wash EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING!!!!!

I got this "Rid" and read the instructions and it helped thank you lord I will highly recommend this. I never mentioned it to my nieces but oh my God I did not know how to handle this I was so unset. Now when I see them I am like please don't have those things again I prayed that their mom took care of it. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Mayo will work but you have to leave it on overnight w/ a shower cap over it. Go to www.headliceinfo.com and they have a cute video that will help you.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Ask your pediatrician. He can prescribe Malathion. You can only get it from a prescription. You put it in their hair and leave it on for about seven hours. We had to use it and it worked like a charm.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Mayo and olive oil. put it on and put a cap over it overnight. poor kids are gonna stink but itll suffocate the lice (and theyll have the softest hair around!) :)
    sylvia10907

Answer by sylvia10907 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We had a horrible outbreak of head lice from my sister's friend years back. We tried mayo, Vaseline, over the counter treatments, and a prescription treatment. They lessened the lice, and my mom finally went online and ordered something called LiceRX. It is non toxic and all natural, which is good for your kids and if you order from some sites who sell it, they say it's gauranteed to work. They did go away for good after we used it, however it's hard to tell if it was only that or a combination of the things we tried. The best thing to do in combination to whatever you try to kill them, is to NOT use those stupid plastic combs they give you in the box. Go to your pet section and get a metal toothed flea comb and brush through your heads several times a day. Do it from all direction, down the back, up the sides, across the head to cover everywhere. That is the main things that works.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If her scalp is turning red, she may have sensitive skin. You may have to call the doctor, especially if none of the over the counter items are working. Once you start the process of killing the lice, you need to wash everything in HOT water. Good luck!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You must treat all her stuff too, like stuffed animals, combs, hair bows,hats,hairbrushs, blankets, pillows, the furniture and your car, lice can get in all that stuff...I use mayo, all day with a cap and a food lion bag tied tight to the head and the cap to keep stuff off the furniture, I dont due it at night or over night I do it first thing in the am and leave on all day, you must remove the nits also, chemicals and mayo do not kill them, you have to remove each and everyone or she will be infested again, that is why they recommend to retreat 7 days later, to get any newly hatched eggs.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The BEST way to get rid of head lice is to soak ur dd's head and hair with baby oil real good and then cover her head with a plastic shower cap for bout 2 hrs. After 2 hrs, take dawn dish washing deteg and rub that in her hair and then rinse her hair out with warm water. It will take 2-4 wahsings with dawn to get all the oil out. You will need to remove all the nits after you have finshed washing her hair.You will also need to wash EVERYTHING of hers in hot water in washer(bed linens, pillow, hair brushes, hair acces, etc). What u cant wash in washer put in a trash bag and spay with the head lice spray, even her mattress and carpet in her room then spray EVERYTHING in the house with that spray too and that should clear it up. Good luck!!
    busymom_38001

Answer by busymom_38001 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We went to the dr and got Ovide. You treat let it sit wash it out in the morning. Then 7 days later do it again. Make sure you get all the eggs out. There is a really good comb that has metal teeth with a yellow handle. I think it is called the lice myster. make sure you wash all sheets and vacuum the rugs and couches really good. Use a rug washer if you can and don't forget to do the car too. For a while after you need to at least once a month use the mayo just as a precaution also use hair spray or gel. Seems like once a year we go through this and it is a pain!.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yur going to think I am nuts but my friend told me Johnson and Johnson shampoo works she said her nieces had a bad outbreak they got at school and nothing worked then her sister started using the J&J and they got rid of them its crazy and simple i k nwo but it works. I always wondered why my kids never got lice during out breaks at school and i have always used J&J on them so when i heard about it i was amazed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009