Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

im a mom of two, homemaker and student. no money. how do I ho about getting a lawyer probono. we have a townhouse. im in a mentally abusive marriage.

Answer Question

Asked by magdusia24 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2013 in Relationships

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Google your state's name and the words "bar association".
    Go to their website and search for pro bono help. Sometimes it is on the first page and sometimes you have to search a little. GL

    Answer by silverthreads at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • You can also check with any domestic violence group for referrals. And 211 is a nationwide hotline for social services.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • you could also call court services and find out how to go about doing your own divorce

    Answer by feralxat at 11:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2013

  • There are steps you must take first OP, and the first one is to get a PO box without your hubby knowing about it if that is possible so you can get mail.

    2nd thing is to establish a place outside your home where you can keep copies of all your important paperwork, including bank statements, (if you have a one, even a savings acct) social security numbers, birth and marriage certificates and documentation of jointly held assets, again if you can get these without him knowing and make matters worse to the point he may hit you.

    3rd thing is if you can set a up a secret email acct such as hotmail or Gmail acct. Do you have a local library you can get too? Or even a school acct? Something your husband cannot find.

    4th thing it may be possible to obtain a credit card and explain your situation. Send them copies of any court orders, since such extenuating circumstances may help you qualify for a credit card.


    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • Here is a link ... 

    They also may be able to help you out with getting an atty pro-bono and assist you with the financial stuff as I said above and help you to safety. 

    Good luck OP and be careful. :)


    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • Make sure that you're clearing your browser's history every time you're online!

    Answer by KPBMom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • Check to see if there is a Legal Aid Society in your town, this could give you a start

    Answer by MChildressDem at 10:15 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • If you can, just find family or friends you can stay with until you can find a job. Pick up and leave with your children. Take what you can but just don't worry about all the material possessions because it's more important to get out. It will be well worth!! Is there any way you could place your kids in foster care until you can get a job? That way, they are safe and cared for and you have less to worry about. If he touches the kids in foster care, he has to deal with the state. Also google for "domestic violence advocates". Those are groups that help you find resources and get through the court processes. Usually the clerk of the court can provide you contact info, too. Also, google "Legal Aid" for your state. They help low-income people.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 2:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

  • Your local welfare office should have all the tools and contact information for shelters in the area and programs set up for abused women. The ones around me work fast and if you have children you get right into them.

    Answer by staciandababy at 2:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.