A great day for Saudi women?

Saudi religious police lift ban on women on bikes

Local daily says women must be accompanied by male relative and dressed in head-to-toe robe to ride bikes in parks, recreational areas

Associated Press

Published: 04.01.13, 18:13 / Israel News

A Saudi newspaper says the kingdom's religious police are now allowing women to ride motorbikes and bicycles but only in restricted, recreational areas.

The Al-Yawm daily on Monday cited an unnamed official from the powerful religious police as saying women can ride bikes in parks and recreational areas but they have to be accompanied by a male relative and dressed in the full Islamic head-to-toe abaya.

Saudi Arabia follows an ultraconservative interpretation of Islam and bans women from driving. Women are also banned from riding motorcycles or bicycles in public places. The newspaper didn't say what triggered the lifting of the ban.

The official says women may not use the bikes for transportation but "only for entertainment" and that they should shun places where young men gather "to avoid harassment."

Do you think they see this as a freedom?  Do they consider this a win for women's rights in their country?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 12:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I am curious to know how the Saudi women feel about that. If it were me, I'd want to ride that motorbike "for entertainment" like a bat out if hell and escape but I guess I wouldn't get very far, lol. I feel sorry for those women.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I suppose it's a start, but it's a pretty damn meager start, in my opinion. Then again, the Saudi government didn't ask for my opinion, as usual.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• so their men are going to drive them to a biking park that doesn't allow men?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Makes me so glad I was born in America. I couldn't survive in such a restrictive culture.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Since the bikes cannot be used for transportation but entertainment, I would stick to walking.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Well, it's not exactly freedom at all. They still have to wear the head to toe abaya and be accompanied by a male relative to whereever they go.
    Feral is right, they mention that they should not be anywhere young men gather, yet they must be accompanied by a male. Where is he supposed to go when they get to the park?

I honestly don't get the point. For me, it just brings this whole silly 'war on women' we hear so much about in this country into perspective.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2013