Help me please

I don't know how to parent my out of control 14 yr old child. He's smoking something called e-hooka,and god knows what else. I told him he couldn't go anywhere tonight and this kids came over and they left together. I was thinking of locking him out for the night to get my point across that he isn't going to break rules.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• It is never to late to consider adoption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• if people come onto your property that you do not want there- call the cops and file trespassing charges
    if your kid leaves the house call the cops and flag him as a runaway

FYI he is "smoking" an e cig

and locking him out for the night- definitely a bad parenting moment
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• and I would never consider that because that's called giving up. I need to be effective in what I do as a parent and I know that there are parents here in cafemom that have dealt with this situation and gotten through. Women with experience! So from those who aren't talking out there arse just to say something,should I let him suffer natural consequences by the police themselves and keep giving him the talk everyday about how I want what's best for him? Or should I take his clothes and shoes away when he gets home till he earns back my trust?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• he's home sitting in the front room watching tv,thats just what someone suggested.. That's why I'm here to make SMART choices..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I googled it. It seems it is just a fancy type of cigarette that is not illegal. So that is good news for you. If he is being defiant, tough love is best. Talk to him and explain your rules again and make him understand you will follow through with the consequences you've come up with prior to your discussion with him. Bottom line you deserve respect. If he disrespects you and your rules, he pays. Your house-Your rules.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 1:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• k,ya i just googled it too says it can be used for marijuana as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• you are again, going to an extreme- taking away his clothes?!
    how do you really think that is going to work to your benefit of raising a productive citizen of society?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:32 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

^^ that I did not see. Well that changes things. Counseling is what I would do if he were mine.
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I have not used this method, but I have parents who do use this. One had his son retun to me a recorder he had stolen from my room, and made him appologize.I didn't even know it had been stolen. You could look into it and see if it looks like something to try

http://www.loveandlogic.com/

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• thank you musicmaker. That site looks very interesting!
    ggsmom333

Answer by ggsmom333 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2013