• In the Spotlight:

Food Safety, Please don't judge

We had to get help from our local food bank today. Among other things we were given a bunch of prepared fruit and salads. I was glad to get fresh prduce instead of so much canned.

While I was putting things away dh gave Jericho some of the fruit. I just went to get one of the salads and it is past it's "use by" date, I checked a couple fruits and they are also past date.

Normally I will not use anything past it's date, but there is so much fresh fruit here. Is it safe t use past the use by date or should I throw it all out.

Malena

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 4:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yeah- I'd say fruits and veggies are pretty obviously bad when they are bad. you will be able to tell.

and that is what food banks are for- people who need help
    I went to one after leaving the bio father of my kids (I was five months preg with the second)
    Once i got back on my feet I just made sure all of the clothes and toys that my lil ones grew out of went to the foodbank. when I get to a point where I have extra money I will donate to said food bank.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It normally is, just check it out first.
    Anonymous

• As long as it isn't wilted or rotting, it should be fine. My brother gives a lot of his 'stales' to food banks to keep them from going to waste.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think they would be fine. Just make sure they aren't wilting and they don't smell bad.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Its fine. They're just guessing on fruits and veggies when they put the date on there...and they're being conservative. You can really only tell by looking at it/smelling it/tasting it to know if it is still okay to eat.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• No judgement here. You do what you gotta, Momma, to feed those little angels.

Fresh fruit and veggies are really easy to tell if they are bad. Just wash and use them quickly. Your time is limited.

As far as prepared salad goes, I'd be hesitant of anything mayo-based. If you mean like a fresh salad mix for lettuce salads, go for it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thank you to those who have answered. I just want to clarify a couple things. These food items are both prepared. The fruit is cut up ready to eat in party tray style. The salads are single serve as an example a chef salad has lettuce in one section, ham in another, chicken in another, cheese in another and dressing in a seperate sealed container.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 6:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• even though they are preprepared, i go with the other girls. they are ok. ive worked in alot of restraunts, and we would just do a smell and taste. youll know when its bad.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:55 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• a day or two should be fine.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 17, 2009