Do the newbies assume the Religious Debate is a Christian love fest section?

Do they not realize that in addition to Christians,there is a whole rainbow of beliefs represented here?
If you're looking for someone to toot your horn,go join a group
For the most part, we all get along wonderfully.
If you can't respect everyone here.......move along. It's best for everyone

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• you mean it's not?!

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Also, it's been suggested by a few of the hit and run trolls this month that some group out there is encouraging militant Christians to come troll here, saying it's an area that hates and abuses all Christians (because they're too stupid to pay attention and realize how many of the participants are Christians)
    ********************************
    you mean all the "hostility" given to the christians here hasn't driven every last one out?? as has been suggested lmao!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Don't paint all newbies with the same brush - we had an awesome one show up the other day, at the same time we had one of the most laughable trolls to ever hit the section.

Also, it's been suggested by a few of the hit and run trolls this month that some group out there is encouraging militant Christians to come troll here, saying it's an area that hates and abuses all Christians (because they're too stupid to pay attention and realize how many of the participants are Christians). Those aren't newbies either - they're bored groupies thinking they're smarter than they really are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I agree with bandgeek about them not realizing that there ARE other beliefs and such.
    Coming from the kind of churches and family that pretty much never said anything about any other beliefs -besides Catholics being scary...and that everyone who didn't believe like us needed saving-or were with Satan...
    High School was honestly, the first time I ever really realized that there were different beliefs. It was really cool to me that there were, and that was when I started figuring out that I didn't believe in what they did

but yeah, as hard as it is for you guys to believe that there are people who just have no idea- there definitely are! I try not to be mean to the about it. I grew up around it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• "There's an assumption that if people just KNEW what Christianity teaches they'd automatically convert, which isn't the case"

This seems to be a popular attitude, not just in RD. I've seen in pretty much any parenting debate the naive newbie coming in thinking that the rest of us are just not educated and haven't learned the information they seem to think they're privileged to have. And they come in proudly ruffling their deathers because they're about to "enlighten" the rest of us ignoramuses. Once they realize the rest of us have seen that information and are just not buying it, they're completely baffled, lol.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• "They need a few lessons in how to testify. It feels like that's often their attempt. Figure out who here is not a believer, and then start sharing how wonderful it is to believe."

Yes, they seem to be ignorant of the fact that people do not come to Atheism, or other ways of belief, without understanding and being informed of Christianity. There's an assumption that if people just KNEW what Christianity teaches they'd automatically convert, which isn't the case. Many DO know - even better than the average Christian - the theology and history, etc, of Christianity. They just don't believe Christianity is true. People assume that it seems such an evident truth for themselves, if someone were just to hear it they, too, would be convinced. And it's just not so.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• You mean it's NOT????? I've been so misinformed all these years.....there goes my plan for world domination.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• They need a few lessons in how to testify. It feels like that's often their attempt. Figure out who here is not a believer, and then start sharing how wonderful it is to believe.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• If they read a few more question, they'll realize Atheists dominate there and most religious people have left because of the hostility.
    I myself prefer to go to groups and pop in occasionally, but I'm not really debating there much anymore. I know I'll only get bashed, so why bother?
    But yes, some Christian newbies are very naive.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• i'm really surprised by the thought process,both here and in the real world,that everyone is a "believer'
    I even come from a small town and i've never assumed it
    then again,i've always been a skeptic and have challenged everything I've been taught

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2013