Do the newbies assume the Religious Debate is a Christian love fest section?

Do they not realize that in addition to Christians,there is a whole rainbow of beliefs represented here?
If you're looking for someone to toot your horn,go join a group
For the most part, we all get along wonderfully.
If you can't respect everyone here.......move along. It's best for everyone

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• you mean it's not?!

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Not necessarily newbies, but rather someone that feels insecure in their choices and wants reassurance.... me thinks. Apparently, the answers aren't falling out of the sky... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Oh, haha, you know I agree. I think some people are so sheltered that they don't realize how many non-Christians there are, so when they come onto a place like this they're expecting more people to agree with them. Of course, this isn't true for EVERYONE who comes on here and posts closed-minded, ignorant things. But sometimes it really IS ignorance, and something that some exposure might actually be able to counter. The world is bigger than they realize is all (for these few who just don't know better), and it takes a little time to understand one's place in it. Not that it makes it okay, but I do think it's important that they're not pushed even further back because they feel disrespected or made fun of when they start to venture into the big world, if you get what I mean. We have to be careful not to take advantage of the chance to educate, instead of giving them a negative experience by which to base opinions....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Not even for THEM so much as to help ease that mentality and make a difference in "the way it is." If you get what I mean. We have a chance to help educate and make a difference in the prejudices and ignorance out there. And we should take it, I think, instead of reinforcing those stereotypes because it's so easy to get offended when people come in all ignorant or arrogant, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• The arrogance is discouraging.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Well people like our new troll assume EVERYONE believes in God & Jesus (or at least should) so, why wouldn't RD be one big Christian love-fest.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• i'm really surprised by the thought process,both here and in the real world,that everyone is a "believer'
    I even come from a small town and i've never assumed it
    then again,i've always been a skeptic and have challenged everything I've been taught

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• If they read a few more question, they'll realize Atheists dominate there and most religious people have left because of the hostility.
    I myself prefer to go to groups and pop in occasionally, but I'm not really debating there much anymore. I know I'll only get bashed, so why bother?
    But yes, some Christian newbies are very naive.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• They need a few lessons in how to testify. It feels like that's often their attempt. Figure out who here is not a believer, and then start sharing how wonderful it is to believe.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2013

• You mean it's NOT????? I've been so misinformed all these years.....there goes my plan for world domination.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2013