Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State insurance question

Does anyone know if PA or NY state insurance will cover treatment in CA? A friend of mine was kidnapped and raped in NY state, and is on state insurance, and will be coming to us in CA for a safe haven for awhile. We want to make sure she can get treatment here, and that it will be covered. She doesn't have any money, and neither do we (we're on MediCal, and are going to try to get her on it, too, if she's here long enough).
Also, does anyone know how long someone has to be in a state to qualify for state insurance there? We have NO idea how long she's staying. Could be a couple of days, could be permanent, could be anything in between, but I'm guessing at least a couple of weeks.
I'm going to be contacting one of the programs here that's through a local hospital to see if they will take her state insurance as well. But this is a big gray area, so any advice anyone has would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Just call. No need to let us know all those horrid details. If she has no income she will qualify for the different state insurance.

    Answer by staciandababy at 1:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • she needs to contact her current state medicade and transfer it to CA now. She could get treatment in CA for emergencies only but not routine care if she doesn't take the right steps to get it switched.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • call social services in your area and see if the Medicaid can be transferred or if she has to reapply in the state she will be living in.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • Would we be able to add her to our insurance, since she's going to be in our household, at least for awhile? I don't know when/if she'll be able to contribute financially.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

  • No you can only add dependents who are 18 yrs or younger.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.