Ssi & divorce. just got a letter...

so my son Noah receives SSI. my husband has been out of the house since i saw a lawyer for divorce. he has only been home 1 night. I called SSI & had him removed from the case yet still reported his March earnings since he was here most of March. I have already filed divorce. I am already planning to move in June.
I received a letter from SSI today stating they need to talk to me & my STBX about our income & living arrangements since October 2012. I may be facing losing my SSI for my son.
Does anybody know what is going on? I was totally honest when I called and said I filed, that he has been out of the home for however many days, and that I was going to move. I have reported all income. the SSI btw is not for our son but my older child.

Any insight?

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• Some of those letters make things sound awful. They may just want the info so they are paying the right amount. I had to do this at one point for my oldest (my ex went in and said I was misusing the funds). No problems and it was cleared up quickly.

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• i hope it's nothing. i'm already a nervous wreck about what is happening to my marriage and now this! I thought at least I had the SSI to rely on but now that is threatened.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• As long as you were honest then I wouldn't worry.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm telling you (AGAIN) , do not leave that house. There are programs out there that will help you eep it!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:01 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• ok, ok.... i am just such a mess.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I would think the SSI thing would be just to update your information so that they have the most current info for you. I don't know why they would take something away when you will be in a less financially stable position.

Where do you plan on going? If it's just to sell the house, split the equity and stay in the same town then I can understand. I would consult a few real estate agents as to the current value, comp prices as well as a list of any foreclosures in your area (while these won't impact your house as a comp, buyers still sometimes try to use these as leverage to low ball an offer). If you plan on moving out of the area, check with your attorney about state and local laws if your ex is able to restrict your distance. Sometimes you can be barred from moving the children more than a certain amount of miles from him, so that he can continue visitation.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I plan to move to my parents' home. It is actually very close to where my STBX works so he doesn't mind. He'll be close enough to see our son on lunch breaks and such. Our current home is over an hour away from his job, and he doesn't get home until 7:30pm, so this move would actually help him to our son more during the week.

As far as the home, I don't know... We haven't worked anything out yet. My STBX hasn't even been served yet.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• So he cheated and walked out on you, but you are worried about HIS CONVENIENCE!?!?! You want to make hings EASIER on him??
    Fuck that shit.
    You need to get over being hurt and get downright PISSED!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• i am pissed, trust me. That's why I already filed. Right now I am a nervous wreck though and worried about money and this new SSI crap and lawyer fees and my kids and everything.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• More than likely, they just want to talk to you to make sure they have all the details correct. It's easier for them to follow up on something if they ask you a question, you answer, and they can immediately ask you the follow up question, as opposed to sending a letter, waiting for your response, then sending another letter and waiting for the response, and so on.

As long as you told the truth, I wouldn't worry too much. I would bet you just allowed your tension and stress to make you read a "tone" in the letter that wasn't really there - kind of like how people can read something online and two different people can take it two different ways based on their mood and personality.

And your ex? Quit worrying what's convenient for him, and what he's happy with. He screwed you and your kids over, you need to worry about you and the kids. Let him get all pissed. Who cares?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2013