Catty mothers

It is so competative at my son's new school. There is always the need to want to look and seem like Supermom. One mother brought in store bought cupcakes to the Easter Luncheon we had and all the mothers were bad mouthing her. I told them that not everyone has the time to do the homemade stuff all the time. They didn't think that was a good enough excuse. I know this school is the best for my son but it just seems like the mothers in particular are just bitches and I dread seeing them at any function.

Are all schools this competative? It sucks that I'll have to deal with these women for the rest of my son's school days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• I would just avoid them all together.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Avoiding them works the best.. Sometimes I'll volunteer when my daughter asks me too, or drive on a field trip because my daughter wants me there.. I don't brown nose the teachers like I see some other mothers doing. I don't understand what they're getting out of it anyway if it's not directly helping or benefiting their own child.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Women can be like that no matter where we are gathered.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Youd hate our school lol. We're generally really cool and easy going but there's a few moms that just get on my damn nerves.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Many schools actually require that treats for the kids be store bought instead of home made. This way there is labeling and if a child has an allergic reaction they aren't trying to track down a recipe to find out what it is. They can look at the label and avoid giving an allergen to a child that has a sensitivity. It's a pain, but it does make sense. JMO.

As for the catty women, just do as the others suggest and avoid them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I like to be an involved parent. I'm a single mother and it's important to me that my son has a great support system. I volunteer help with the carnivals or anything we're doing for the holidays. It's just that with all the holidays that seemed to be happening one after another they are getting on my nerves more than ever. It's just the catty comments about how they're so superior since they baked things from scratch or they bought their kid new this and new that. In my head I'm thinking, those material things won't stop your kid from becoming an asshole like you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• In my head I'm thinking, those material things won't stop your kid from becoming an asshole like you.

Lol! OP You've hit it right on the head. There are bad apples in every barrel, just don't end up next to them!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Can you find a mom friend who attends these same functions and isn't as bitchy? Maybe invite her over for some wine and store bought cupcakes?
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:04 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• There are always a few.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Lol it wouldn't bother me. The kids can not tell the difference between stor bought and home made and I'm pretty sure they didn't complain. I really don't get involved with other mothers. I'm a younger mom and yes I do get looks but the fact that all my dds friends say I look like a teenager and not a real mom makes their dirty looks not bother me.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2013