Why I am a...(in 940 characters or less)

Patheos ran a challenge for all their contributors, for each to write, in less than 200 words, why they are whatever religion/belief they are. Of course, the Christian responses far outnumber any other group, since they have more Christian sections than anything else, but so far atheists and some of the other faiths are also represented.  Hopefully over time, more will contribute so it doesn't look so one sided.

http://www.patheos.com/Spirituality/Topics/Why-I-am-a/

So can you, in 940 characters or less (the size of ONE answer) answer the same question?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• excepts=expects...typing too fast for my brain to keep up!

also, this is a GREAT idea! i cant wait to read everybody's posts! plus it made me think about why i am what i am which is always a good thing!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• typing too fast for my brain to keep up!

That's why I did mine in notepad first - once I had it all written, then I had to start cutting it down to 940 characters.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm Catholic because I believe in the communion of saints. I believe that we are all connected to each other both the living and the dead. I agree with the interpretation of the Bible in the use of allegory. I believe this is the church started by Peter. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus. I've found great wisdom and practical advice the teachings and writings of St Ignatius of Loyola and Fr. Ciszek, to name a few.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• This has been really interesting reading to see where everyone is coming from.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:03 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a believer in God because His presence in my life brings me joy, and a sense of fullfilment Ive never had before....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm an agnostic atheist because it makes the most sense to me. I was a Christian for many years, but I could not hold onto my faith when I began questioning the validity of the stories in the bible. Science and logic hold stronger to me than faith and miracles. Once I lost that faith, I came to the conclusion that there could be 1 god or 10,000. I have no way of knowing, and so I choose to follow none of them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I don't know exactly what I believe. I have been researching and questioning everything for many years. I got my BA in Religion and delved into all the major religions while doing so. None of them made real sense to me. I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, but I can't say that I don't believe in some power or force or god. Or maybe it is more that I want to believe in something. Though I lean more towards atheism right now. I am still searching and hopefully I will eventually find the answers that work for me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm a Pandeist because I am.
    Mostly because it makes the most sense to me. After spending much of my adult life trying to force other religions to fit me, and trying to find something that made sense, Pandeism just one day found me. Believing in one Creator who became everything explains to me why there are so many different paths out there, and even why there are other gods.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I choose to believe what I believe cause it makes enough sense to me.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a Christian because I believe in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. He gave us a divine example in human flesh of how to live, how to love, and how each of us has the power to touch the world in a small but positive way. There's a lot about the Bible I don't understand, but I know that if I love the Lord with all of my heart and mind and strength, and love my neighbor as myself, the world will be a slightly better place every day because of my efforts. I also believe that the love of Almighty God triumphed over death, but that there are probably many ways to find God besides through Jesus Christ. I believe God takes many forms based on the needs of those who seek to follow Him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:21 PM on Apr. 3, 2013