Why I am a...(in 940 characters or less)

Patheos ran a challenge for all their contributors, for each to write, in less than 200 words, why they are whatever religion/belief they are. Of course, the Christian responses far outnumber any other group, since they have more Christian sections than anything else, but so far atheists and some of the other faiths are also represented.  Hopefully over time, more will contribute so it doesn't look so one sided.

http://www.patheos.com/Spirituality/Topics/Why-I-am-a/

So can you, in 940 characters or less (the size of ONE answer) answer the same question?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I am an atheist because I don't believe in the existence of any gods.

I am agnostic because I know that while we can't prove the existence of any gods, we also can't prove (yet) that none exist.

I am a Secular Humanist because I advocate human, rather than religious values and have a naturalistic worldview.  I believe that women should have control over their bodies, including reproductive concerns.  I also believe in gender equality, and that homosexuals should have the same rights as all humans.  I believe that we should be focusing on real-world problems like ending poverty, protecting our environment and promoting peace and non-violence.

That's a lot of believing for a "non-believer".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I am a Pagan Witch. That's about as far as I get with the labels. I don't believe we are meant to follow any one religion. I believe it strangles our spirit/spirituality. I believe there's an ultimate higher power and that power created all the gods/goddesses to help people relate to It. I believe there is a balance to everything ... light/dark, good/evil, day/night. I believe there is magic in the world that anyone can use. It's really hard to sum it up in such a limited number of characters.

Why did I choose this path? I didn't. It chose me. I just resisted for far too long trying to be the "good little Christian girl" that everyone expected. I was not happy. My spirit felt off. I finally gave in and have never been happier ... spiritually wise anyway. LOL!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I am the spirit of the Devine. I have the spark of the Creator in me as do all of us. I follow my true path as the Devine spirit has breathed intuition, creativity, intellect, and choice into me. I believe firmly in many paths, all paths, and no paths. I believe in respect and dignity of all creatures. I am unity and diversity. I am light and I am dark. I am human and mortal but the essence of my spirit is immortal. I am part of this Earth and our Universe, I am nature. I am Universalist Unitarian.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2013