Why I am a...(in 940 characters or less)

Patheos ran a challenge for all their contributors, for each to write, in less than 200 words, why they are whatever religion/belief they are. Of course, the Christian responses far outnumber any other group, since they have more Christian sections than anything else, but so far atheists and some of the other faiths are also represented.  Hopefully over time, more will contribute so it doesn't look so one sided.

http://www.patheos.com/Spirituality/Topics/Why-I-am-a/

So can you, in 940 characters or less (the size of ONE answer) answer the same question?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I am an Agnostic because the biblical notion of God just makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially after having studied mythology, it just amazes me that grown adults in the 21st century still believe the Bible to be true. But, I suppose that we humans have the ability to trick ourselves to believe anything to be true, even when contradictory facts are presented to us. The reason I label myself as an Agnostic VS an Atheist is due to some Buddhist leanings I hold. I want to believe that reincarnation exists. I want to believe that I have lived before & will live again. That theory also helps me to understand seeing what, at least appeared to be at the time, a ghost almost 3 yrs ago. However, I realize that reincarnation may not be real. And, I can accept that as well. I believe that one day science will be able to explain all of life's mysteries. That is where "my faith" lies, science.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a pagan because it is what makes sense to me. When I look at Christianity and the Bible, I just find too many things I either disagree with or that just don't make any sense to me. When I look at pagan beliefs, it just makes sense. No, it doesn't necessarily have any more answers than Christianity, but the answers I do have make sense and fall in line with the way I live my life and treat others.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• While I consider myself an atheist I also feel I'm very spiritual. I also like to collect tenets of religions that speak to me. I'm not sure how to explain my spirituality other than I feel connected to nature. Meditation connects me to myself. I feel we are all connected and when we die we are not so much reborn as in reincarnation but in recycling our energy. As for collecting tenets I just study religions and apply them to my life I do like symbolisms of religions as well but I just subtract the deity aspect of them.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm an Atheist because I don't believe in God(s)

;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again. It may not make sense to many people and may seem like a myth to them but it is what I believe. I follow my heart in what I believe and even though I don't pretend to know all the answers about Christianity I do know that I believe in Jesus.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a Heathen because it makes sense. The focus is on gaining wisdom and personal responsibility. It does not demand worship of impossibly perfect beings who can do no wrong, no matter how immoral their actions. Rather, it embraces those flaws, instructs us to learn from them, and acknowledge them in ourselves. The burden is on the trespasser to know the error of his ways and make amends, not on those against whom he's trespassed to forgive him - there are no free passes. We are free to do as we wish, as long as we are true to our word, but knowing that there are always consequences for every action. The gods do not respect those who would grovel at their feet begging for help, they reward those who give thanks for what they've accomplished.

Could I behave the same way without the gods? Sure, but it feels like pretending, no different than all those who pretend to be the faith of their parents to survive.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• Thanks for adding yours I was just about to ask if you would share :)
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

I started typing it after I posted, then that pesky kid insisted I was legally required to feed him.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am Christian because I am most firmly rooted in the message of love, compassion, dignity, Divinity, etc, through the person and teachings of Jesus. I realize, though I tend to be unorthodox or not "mainstream" in my interpretation of the Christian faith and teachings (though we could debate the intent of his message and the original context, etc), and even though I am Universalist and pluralistic and see how much the religions have in common and how the teachings by other teachers and prophets so often mirror what I believe Jesus taught, it is Jesus through whom this message comes the most alive and tangible for me, as he was the one this message was instilled in me through. I cannot deny that I see the world, Divinity, other religions, and those teachings through a Christian lens, even if that lens differs slightly from the "average" Christian (I have more in common with the Borgs and Spongs of the Christian world).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• i am a (modern) Deist because i believe in a higher power but not the man-made aspects of what that higher power excepts of us. Deism focuses on the spirituality of a higher power without the man-made rules, interpretations, & holy texts that pit us against each other. i also dont believe God interferes in our lives (why would any higher power give a rats ass about humanity when it has all of the cosmos to wander about (if God is even a physical being)). Deism uses reason to justify a belief in a higher power; if it doesnt make sense within the scope of what i know i can reject it without having to feel like im somehow less spiritual for it. i am Deist b/c it allows me to look at the world & come to my own conclusions, & if im wrong im free to change my mind with no repercussions, in fact its encouraged! Deism gives me a freedom i never felt from any other faiths. i am a Deist b/c it makes sense to me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2013