Why I am a...(in 940 characters or less)

Patheos ran a challenge for all their contributors, for each to write, in less than 200 words, why they are whatever religion/belief they are. Of course, the Christian responses far outnumber any other group, since they have more Christian sections than anything else, but so far atheists and some of the other faiths are also represented.  Hopefully over time, more will contribute so it doesn't look so one sided.

http://www.patheos.com/Spirituality/Topics/Why-I-am-a/

So can you, in 940 characters or less (the size of ONE answer) answer the same question?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I am a Christian. I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again. It may not make sense to many people and may seem like a myth to them but it is what I believe. I follow my heart in what I believe and even though I don't pretend to know all the answers about Christianity I do know that I believe in Jesus.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a pagan because it is what makes sense to me. When I look at Christianity and the Bible, I just find too many things I either disagree with or that just don't make any sense to me. When I look at pagan beliefs, it just makes sense. No, it doesn't necessarily have any more answers than Christianity, but the answers I do have make sense and fall in line with the way I live my life and treat others.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:06 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am Christian because I am most firmly rooted in the message of love, compassion, dignity, Divinity, etc, through the person and teachings of Jesus. I realize, though I tend to be unorthodox or not "mainstream" in my interpretation of the Christian faith and teachings (though we could debate the intent of his message and the original context, etc), and even though I am Universalist and pluralistic and see how much the religions have in common and how the teachings by other teachers and prophets so often mirror what I believe Jesus taught, it is Jesus through whom this message comes the most alive and tangible for me, as he was the one this message was instilled in me through. I cannot deny that I see the world, Divinity, other religions, and those teachings through a Christian lens, even if that lens differs slightly from the "average" Christian (I have more in common with the Borgs and Spongs of the Christian world).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a believer in God because His presence in my life brings me joy, and a sense of fullfilment Ive never had before....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am an atheist because I don't believe in the existence of any gods.

I am agnostic because I know that while we can't prove the existence of any gods, we also can't prove (yet) that none exist.

I am a Secular Humanist because I advocate human, rather than religious values and have a naturalistic worldview.  I believe that women should have control over their bodies, including reproductive concerns.  I also believe in gender equality, and that homosexuals should have the same rights as all humans.  I believe that we should be focusing on real-world problems like ending poverty, protecting our environment and promoting peace and non-violence.

That's a lot of believing for a "non-believer".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2013

• I am an Agnostic because the biblical notion of God just makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially after having studied mythology, it just amazes me that grown adults in the 21st century still believe the Bible to be true. But, I suppose that we humans have the ability to trick ourselves to believe anything to be true, even when contradictory facts are presented to us. The reason I label myself as an Agnostic VS an Atheist is due to some Buddhist leanings I hold. I want to believe that reincarnation exists. I want to believe that I have lived before & will live again. That theory also helps me to understand seeing what, at least appeared to be at the time, a ghost almost 3 yrs ago. However, I realize that reincarnation may not be real. And, I can accept that as well. I believe that one day science will be able to explain all of life's mysteries. That is where "my faith" lies, science.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm an Atheist because I don't believe in God(s)

;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:20 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm Catholic because I believe in the communion of saints. I believe that we are all connected to each other both the living and the dead. I agree with the interpretation of the Bible in the use of allegory. I believe this is the church started by Peter. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus. I've found great wisdom and practical advice the teachings and writings of St Ignatius of Loyola and Fr. Ciszek, to name a few.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I'm an agnostic atheist because it makes the most sense to me. I was a Christian for many years, but I could not hold onto my faith when I began questioning the validity of the stories in the bible. Science and logic hold stronger to me than faith and miracles. Once I lost that faith, I came to the conclusion that there could be 1 god or 10,000. I have no way of knowing, and so I choose to follow none of them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• I am a Pagan Witch. That's about as far as I get with the labels. I don't believe we are meant to follow any one religion. I believe it strangles our spirit/spirituality. I believe there's an ultimate higher power and that power created all the gods/goddesses to help people relate to It. I believe there is a balance to everything ... light/dark, good/evil, day/night. I believe there is magic in the world that anyone can use. It's really hard to sum it up in such a limited number of characters.

Why did I choose this path? I didn't. It chose me. I just resisted for far too long trying to be the "good little Christian girl" that everyone expected. I was not happy. My spirit felt off. I finally gave in and have never been happier ... spiritually wise anyway. LOL!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2013